Captain

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've decided that 2020 is going to be a year of new experiences, and challenges. I've known this young man since he was kid, worked many fires with him over the years, and wasn't anyone else I'd rather have by my side on an entry. I've thought for a long time he'd make an excellent subject for a Firefighter project I've been wanting to shoot. Despite the bad weather, and some equipment problems, finally managed to pull it off. So many keepers so little time, just a few of the ones I liked. I wanted a gritty, look, so these were all shot using modified Clam shell lighting. There was a 24" beauty Dish High on camera axis angled down and a white reflector low angled up. My lens was poked between the two. Background light was a 7" strobe with red gel pointing straight up, black backdrop, and smoke machine completed the effect. C&C always welcome

Firefighter.jpg

Firefighter-2.jpg

Firefighter-3.jpg

Firefighter-4.jpg

Firefighter-5.jpg

I like the grittiness of the color and the lighting of his face. Can you go darker with the hat and clothing? I haven't calibrated my monitor yet so maybe it isn't as bright as I'm seeing.

I like the grittiness of the color and the lighting of his face. Can you go darker with the hat and clothing? I haven't calibrated my monitor yet so maybe it isn't as bright as I'm seeing.

Thank you. That was the word I was hoping would be used to describe it. I could possibly go darker but the black point is close now. The jacket is the actual color.

Great images! If I had a fire at my place he looks like the guy I would want to come put it out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well done!

Very strong images.

@stapo49 Thanks man! We're all volunteers, and he's the son of another long time member. As a kid he lived and breathed fighting fires, even though he was to young to go on calls, he was at trainings, going through classes, so that when he turned 18 he was way better trained then the typical volunteer. Since then despite a full time job that requires a lot of overtime, and a family, he still donates a tremendous amount of time to the department and community. No surprise he has a young son, who like his Dad before him, is already hanging out at the fire hall every chance he gets.

@Warhorse Thank you, that's what I was shooting for.

@stapo49 Thanks man! We're all volunteers, and he's the son of another long time member. As a kid he lived and breathed fighting fires, even though he was to young to go on calls, he was at trainings, going through classes, so that when he turned 18 he was way better trained then the typical volunteer. Since then despite a full time job that requires a lot of overtime, and a family, he still donates a tremendous amount of time to the department and community. No surprise he has a young son, who like his Dad before him, is already hanging out at the fire hall every chance he gets.

@Warhorse Thank you, that's what I was shooting for.
We are having horrendous fires on the east coast of Australia at the moment with most of them being fought by volunteers, some who have lost their lives. Big respect to all volunteer firefighters.

We are having horrendous fires on the east coast of Australia at the moment with most of them being fought by volunteers, some who have lost their lives. Big respect to all volunteer firefighters.

I've been watching that on the news. If I was 20yrs younger, I'd seriously consider being a part of the group that went over from the states to help. What an adventure that would be!!

I've been watching that on the news. If I was 20yrs younger, I'd seriously consider being a part of the group that went over from the states to help. What an adventure that would be!!
They are saying close to 11 million hectares (around 27 million acres) burnt. It looks like they are getting some rain and cooler weather in the worse hit areas so hopefully this will help in extinguishing the fires.

Well done! I like #1 the most.

And I commend your choice for your project.

@PJM Thank you. I've been thinking it might be fun to put together a calendar for fund raising project. Finding 11 more firemen who aren't bashful about having their picture taken might be difficult though.

Damn dude.. that first one? NAILED it!!!!!

Nominated for POTM

Wow!!!!!!! Thanks man!!!! That was a favorite of mine. I also like #4 just for the expression.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back