capturing pictures directly from camera

drPHk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

How do I setup my digital camera so when I take a picture it immediately opens on the connected computer? Can i do this in Adobe lightroom?

i've got a nikon, it came with software called captureNX but I think that just edits red eye, etc.

Google "remote shooting in Lightroom", "tethered Lightroom import" - stuff like that.

There are a ton of results. Not knowing what camera you have, and never personally done this in Lightroom before - I won't tell you which way works best ('cause I don't know), but the information is out there, it's definitely possible.

i've got a nikon, it came with software called captureNX but I think that just edits red eye, etc.

I think you can do it with that (appears so, from my google search), but I have all Canon stuff so I'm not familiar with it.

For Canon Peeps:

I decided to go all 'bedroom studio' today and installed the EOS Utility after 11 months of shooting. I choose custom install and only installed the EOS Utility, as I don't have a wireless thingy (wish I did!) and like to keep software clutter to a minimum. Heck I even created a backup point before running the install.

I propped up an acoustic guitar I made 1984 and enjoyed pulling focus, setting apertures and exposure compensation right from a 24 inch monitor. I wanted to get at flash exposure compensation, but had to set this at the camera.

As a side feature, there is an opportunity to put your name in the camera and then this shows up in the metadata of your shots. Custom white balancing should be a breeze with the interface,.. although I did not need it. Linking to Photoshop was pretty straight forward as well.

The only 'problem' I had was in file naming. The naming convention reset IMG_0001.CR2 and I could not figure out how to keep it sequential from the camera's count (just over 3K exposures now).

I wish we could pick metering and focus points, or even an AF button to click, but there are limits as this is a variation on Live View shooting and single engine (40D) camera.

-Shea

shea-koa-guitar-bridge-detail-closeup.jpg

Not really sure what that post ^^^ has to do with the OP thread...

i Use Nikon, this is what i do.... first you need to switch the USB mode that your camera is in... i think it comes default in Mass Storage switch it...

Then I use nikon camera control pro 2... then in Lightroom there is an "Auto Import" option.. select that, and have it reading from whatever file your camera control pro is sending to.. takes about 2 seconds to receive the picture

Not really sure what that post ^^^ has to do with the OP thread...
The OP did not specify what religion he was until my sermon. Why waste perfectly good user experience, and this is still a database OG.

-Shea

For Canon Peeps:

The only 'problem' I had was in file naming. The naming convention reset IMG_0001.CR2 and I could not figure out how to keep it sequential from the camera's count (just over 3K exposures now).

-Shea

Sure thing and every scanner software wants to do the same thing. You'll just need to get into DOS or Command Prompt or use Explorer or Powerdesk. Some have name settings, but they still won't go from the last number, because they don't know what the camera has stored on it.

Irfanview has a batch rename feature that I use most of the time for a whole days worth of photos.

I agree with naming the camera with my name, it's the first thing I do with a new camera and the last thing I do when I sell one, including resetting the counter for the new owner.

Something to keep in mind is that your serial number for the camera is always kept on the EXIF/Metadata and if you lose it or it's stolen, you can go back to your old photos and find your serial number for insurance or police.

Haven't tried remote shooting, but it looks interesting for live view. I need some longer USB cables. :lol:

The OP did not specify what religion he was until my sermon. Why waste perfectly good user experience, and this is still a database OG.

-Shea

It was mentioned in post #3, in fact.

Camera Control Pro can be downloaded and tried for free before buying. It is very useful - I've used it with my D3. If I used the D3 in the studio instead of my Sinar I would use it more, and get the WT-4 wireless unit.

Best,
Helen

It was mentioned in post #3, in fact.
Yes and by the time I composed my masterpiece (first reply when started) it was too late, in fact.

This should be a non-issue. What if someone searches "capturing pictures directly from camera" or any near derivative - should they be denied someone's experience or possibly some useful information? Me thinks not. Perhaps the religious reference is not so far off base (I keed, I keed).

-Shea

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind is that your serial number for the camera is always kept on the EXIF/Metadata and if you lose it or it's stolen, you can go back to your old photos and find your serial number for insurance or police.
Had not thought of that... good to keep in mind with a recent loss at church on the forum and all.. Tnx. -S

Shea,

I entirely agree that it is a non issue, and I share your view that the more information the better. I was just highlighting the timing remark. It brings home the amount of time and effort that some people put into their contributions here.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back