Car photo question

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
I was going through some old shots of my car and found this one and did some processing on it. I think it turned out really well, but how can I get rid of the reflections that kind of streak across the middle of the car? Is it something I can do when shooting or is there really no way around it and just fix it in PP?

Thanks

4328992746_e6fe0053ab.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you have access to a large commercial photography studio that photographs cars and large items it is hard to not get reflections. The big studios use large white diffused light banks that create a nice even light not a smaller specular light that causes reflections. You might try photographing the car on an overcast day where your light source is just the cloudy sky.

You can't. It's one of the few things that can't be done post process in an image editor.

It has to be done pre-process by putting a C-PL filter on your lens, knowing how to use the filter, and being very aware of where the Sun is relative to the lens axis.

To bad you had such a poor background and couldn't get the car away from it more than you did. That, and the car is underexposed.

When I shoot a car outside, I don't want the car closer than 1/2 a mile from the background.

I'd crop away the top half of the shot, myself, it doesn't add anything, other than distraction.

4328992746_e6fe0053ab.jpg

Last edited:
You can't. It's one of the few things that can't be done post process in an image editor.

It has to be done pre-process by putting a C-PL filter on your lens, knowing how to use the filter, and being very aware of where the Sun is relative to the lens axis.

Know of any good sources to read up on how to reduce it and how to properly use a CPL filter? I don't have one, but have been wanting one for a while.

Know of any good sources to read up on how to reduce it and how to properly use a CPL filter? I don't have one, but have been wanting one for a while.
Do you want me to Google that for you, or can you do it yourself? There are many online tutorials. I don't need them so, off hand, I can't direct you to any.

A C-PL will reduce the glare by a max of about 80% when used properly. At each setup, you'll need to experiment some to optimize your results.

Do you want me to Google that for you, or can you do it yourself? There are many online tutorials. I don't need them so, off hand, I can't direct you to any.

Ha, no. I'm pretty proficient with google. Just checking to see if you or any others knew of a good tutorial somewhere that was reliable and had good information. Thanks for the pointers though :thumbup:

I do like KmH's edit...and agree with Munky about the reflections. To me, it doesn't necessarily detract from the subject. Awesome Supra btw! In HS a friend of mine had a white '89 Turbo. I've never gone faster than I did riding shotgun in that car. About 153 IIRC. ;)

I do like KmH's edit...and agree with Munky about the reflections. To me, it doesn't necessarily detract from the subject. Awesome Supra btw! In HS a friend of mine had a white '89 Turbo. I've never gone faster than I did riding shotgun in that car. About 153 IIRC. ;)

Thanks! Yea, it's pretty fun...when it works.

Most reactions

Back