totalmajor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.subarunited.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm just starting off with some car photography, cause I love going out to meets and taking photos of mine/ my friends' cars...

Here's a few, tell me what you think!
IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

and now, some help!

I use a rebel XTi with the regular lense, and my friend uses a D80 with a 70-200mm lense and a ~$700 fisheye..

his photos turn out so much better

gregside.png

edgarfrontbig.png

why do his pics turn out so much better than mine?

I compared specs and the D80 isn't THAT much better...

is it jut the expensive lenses?? or a specific setting hes shooting at??

"specs"??

Just like driving a course, there is a bit of skill behind photography... not just specs...
Perhaps he just has more experience behind the camera...

Yours are not "that" bad...

I think your shots are very nice. Only thing i dont like is how you didnt include the whole wheel in the first one.

As for why his shots are better might have more to do with post procesing rather than which camera. And i hate to say but the photographer is the main deciding factor on the look of a photo. It just takes practice to get shots to come out exactly how you want them to.

i see, well its not all that of the style of the photo..

but the detail is just amazing.

if i just grabbed his camera and snapped a picture, and grabbed mine.

his would look much better..

IS there post production that he's not telling me about?

What kind would we be looking at here?

I always fiddle with my photos in photoshop, but they never turn out that nice with the details...

We're both shooting in the same modes as well...

Ok, everything that follows assumes that the first grouping is yours. (I.E. Wheel, cars lined up, STI, and Bugeye headlight)

Honestly, from a guy who has lurked around lots of car forums, seen thousands of car pictures, and is just now actually getting behind his own camera, I like your composure MUCH more.

This might sound obvious, but shooting cars is nothing like shooting people, or animals, or anything else, and in my opinion, you have a great feel for what looks good.

What would I change:
#1. LOVE the wheel shot. I actually like that the tire is not in the shot. Only thing: align a little more carefully, so that you get either the entire horizontal, or the entire vertical diameter of the wheel. Don't worry about cutting off the other axis.

#2: great lineup of cars, with owners just chilling, looking cool...then a bunch of crappy grocery-getters in the background. I know it's not entirely up to you, but if your friends want really quality pics, line 'em up somewhere deserted.

#3:hail::hail:

#4:hail::hail:

I think it has to do with skill. There are so many factors that come into play. What settings was he using? What settings were you using? Maybe he is using better techniques to prevent camera shake.

Do you understand aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and how they all work together? If not.....and your friend does, that could make all the difference.

You can be the most expensive camera in the world, and your photo's might be absolutely amazing, or they might just suck.

I really like the 3rd one. I like the angle and the reflection of the lights on the tar.

I'm no expert when it comes to photography, but I'm sure that if you keep doing what you're doing, you won't have spend $700 on a fisheye.

A good lens can help but It could be just he took some shots when the light was better. At that time of day the light changes quick and if you miss the window I don't care how good you are the good light is gone. But really your shots are almost just as good.

A good lens can help but It could be just he took some shots when the light was better. At that time of day the light changes quick and if you miss the window I don't care how good you are the good light is gone. But really your shots are almost just as good.

Really? That's funny, because some of the best car photos I've ever seen have been night shots. The only thing light has to do with it (in my opinion) is whether you know how to adapt to different lighting situations. You can take a picture in the dark of night under a street light and get an awesome photo if you know how to work the camera. So....the "I don't care how good you are the good light is gone" comment makes no sense because a good photographer will know how to take great photos when "the light is gone".

I don't think your photos are bad at all. In fact, I think your photos are better than some of your friend's. For instance, I don't like the compressed telephoto effect of the 3/4 view yellow Scooby; it would have looked nice with a wider lens. Yours are really great. I love the contrast of the wheel, the drifting shot (or perhaps still) is just perfect: Rule of thirds, really nice reflection, unobtrusive background, and I love the clear reflection of the light in #3.

Im talking about the difference between his shots and that of his friends, Not of all car photos ever taken. Maybe you misunderstood me but to say I "make no sense" makes you look like a jerk.

Im talking about the difference between his shots and that of his friends, Not of all car photos ever taken. Maybe you misunderstood me but to say I "make no sense" makes you look like a jerk.

To say that a good photographer cannot overcome changes in light makes you look like you know nothing about photography. You said that you don't care how good someone is, that when the light is gone, it's gone. The way you worded it did not speak directly to the OP, but to a general "how good someone is". My point was that light doesn't matter much if you know how to adapt to it. Maybe I sound like a jerk, but for you to say that it doesn't matter because if there's no light.....makes you sound very, very inexperienced. Not saying you are, but that's how it comes across.

Also, you say "if he misses the window" of good light. Seriously makes no difference. If good light is gone, set up a tripod and go for some really cool night shots. If anything, it looks as if the light in his friends photo is lesser than in his.

The only thing that shows in the coolness of his vs. his friends is that white balance settings were probably different and possibly post processing for warmth. Point being.....it's about a difference in skill and knowing how to use your camera and the best settings for that shot.

Most reactions

Back