Car photography

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Are 2 off camera flashes enough for automotive photography at night? Does the light usually need to be diffused?

Depends on what final look you are going for. Post the link to some examples and we can help out a lot better.

p!nK

Frankly, NO, no matter what some people here will tell you. Unless you are going for some super special effect that involves no seeing much of the car or seeing it in a very un-flattering way.

And it doesnt help that this forum is horrible for posting links

maybe its just me, but the 1st and 2nd look like the car was added in afterwards. the lighting/reflections seem off

maybe its just me, but the 1st and 2nd look like the car was added in afterwards. the lighting/reflections seem off

The second one is definitely photoshopped in, but the exposure still remains something that I am trying to achieve

The second one is definitely photoshopped in, but the exposure still remains something that I am trying to achieve

that car was probably photographed in a building with lighting all over. you wont get the look with 2 lights.

No, they don't.

The first 2 links take me to the same place that make me wonder if you are a spammer...

The last one is an HDR or HDR-like photo taken in daylight. What does that have to do with shooting at night?

No, they don't.

The first 2 links take me to the same place that make me wonder if you are a spammer...

The last one is an HDR or HDR-like photo taken in daylight. What does that have to do with shooting at night?

That literally makes no sense. Do you know what a spammer is? How do you get that I am a spammer with me having 630 posts and 32 likes and posting 2 night pics and 1 low light pic. If that doesn't point in into the direction of what I am going for then I don't know what to tell you. If the 2 links take you to the same place, it's because you clicked the same link twice.

Yeah the first 2, appear to be photoshopped into the back ground.

The last one is HDR or just tonemapped
Probably sunny in the shade/ or over cast.
with some editing.

But I have been trying to do some car photography with 2 flashes
and It's not working so well.
I've gotten decent results using 2 monolights, 2 flashes, and all diffused. Still practicing this though.

With 2 flashes you can get some very acceptable shots for shoots like
Canibeat, Hellaflush, Fatlace

But these shots are going to be far from professional "product" style shots.
via Honda, BMW, Chevy

Yeah the first 2, appear to be photoshopped into the back ground.

The last one is HDR or just tonemapped
Probably sunny in the shade/ or over cast.
with some editing.

But I have been trying to do some car photography with 2 flashes
and It's not working so well.
I've gotten decent results using 2 monolights, 2 flashes, and all diffused. Still practicing this though.

With 2 flashes you can get some very acceptable shots for shoots like
Canibeat, Hellaflush, Fatlace

But these shots are going to be far from professional "product" style shots.
via Honda, BMW, Chevy

Yeah, I really can't find a picture to truly define what I mean.

Think about which parts of the car you want to have illuminated and how bright you want them. As a start, think about one light for every part you want illuminated. Remember some parts like the whole side might require a large modifier or more than one light. Don't forget the foreground, background and interior. Also, a bit of light underneath can look nice when done right. Small light sources will create hard light with very pinpoint reflections, larger lights (ie. larger modifiers) will have a softer look and more even illumination.

Photographing a car is essentially product photography, where the product is somewhat larger than a barbie doll.

Most reactions

Back