Car

ddunn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first photograph just wondering what you all thought on it.

oldcar.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

First, welcome to the forum!!!! :D :D :D

Now, onto your photo. It's a gorgeous car, that's for sure! The photo is nice and sharp. There are a couple of technical things I'll offer advice on though...

- The filesize is pretty large. That's not a bad thing, it just makes it difficult for people with small monitors to view the whole thing at once.

- It looks like the car is pretty much centered in the frame. While it's not illegal in any state or country, it goes against a lot of photographic conventions; do a google search for the 'rule of thirds'.

- While I like the background--it has a very English feel to it--there's a lot of wasted space, especially near the bottom of the frame. This is more of a personal preference, but if it were mine I'd go for a much tighter crop around the car to emphasize its prominence.

Cheers!
-Wik

Shark said:
First, welcome to the forum!!!! :D :D :D

Now, onto your photo. It's a gorgeous car, that's for sure! The photo is nice and sharp. There are a couple of technical things I'll offer advice on though...

- The filesize is pretty large. That's not a bad thing, it just makes it difficult for people with small monitors to view the whole thing at once.

Okay.

- It looks like the car is pretty much centered in the frame. While it's not illegal in any state or country, it goes against a lot of photographic conventions; do a google search for the 'rule of thirds'.

Okay, done a Google search for rule of thirds. Found it intresting. Will try and sort that in some other photo's.

- While I like the background--it has a very English feel to it--there's a lot of wasted space, especially near the bottom of the frame. This is more of a personal preference, but if it were mine I'd go for a much tighter crop around the car to emphasize its prominence.

That maybe because I'm English, lol. What program do you reccomend I use to crop it?

Cheers!
-Wik

Thanks for your comment Wik.
Also can others give a mark out of ten for the photo too please?
Thanks,

Dave

Hi, ddunn, welcome to the forum!

I don't mind offering a critique on your car image here, but I'm afraid I can't give it a "mark out of ten" rating - photography is way too objective for that sort of thing. :D

I like your image. I agree it's nice and sharp. That said, I would also agree that a tighter crop would focus one's eye more on the subject (the car). Also - while my eye is wandering about the image, I can't help but see this strong magenta cast to it. Was this done intentionally? The clouds, the street, all have a very strong pinkish/purple hue.

terri said:
Hi, ddunn, welcome to the forum!

I don't mind offering a critique on your car image here, but I'm afraid I can't give it a "mark out of ten" rating - photography is way too objective for that sort of thing. :D

I like your image. I agree it's nice and sharp. That said, I would also agree that a tighter crop would focus one's eye more on the subject (the car). Also - while my eye is wandering about the image, I can't help but see this strong magenta cast to it. Was this done intentionally? The clouds, the street, all have a very strong pinkish/purple hue.

The magenta cast wasn't done intentionally, just noticed it now when you mentioned it. :?:

Thanks for your comments, and for the welcome. Just thinking there, are 13 year olds allowed on here?

Dave

As said, it's hard to get a good idea of the image as a whole because it's so big on my screen. Just about any image software will allow you to crop and/or resize your image.

From what I can tell, it's a pretty good photo. One suggestion would be to make the car a more definitive subject. As it is, the car and the rest of the image are fighting for attention. This might be accomplished by cropping out a lot of the other parts of the photo...or re shooting the photo with the car closer to the camera and therefore filling more of the frame.

Still a very good photo though, welcome to the forum.

Big Mike said:
As said, it's hard to get a good idea of the image as a whole because it's so big on my screen. Just about any image software will allow you to crop and/or resize your image.

From what I can tell, it's a pretty good photo. One suggestion would be to make the car a more definitive subject. As it is, the car and the rest of the image are fighting for attention. This might be accomplished by cropping out a lot of the other parts of the photo...or re shooting the photo with the car closer to the camera and therefore filling more of the frame.

Still a very good photo though, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I can't re-shoot the car, as it isn't mine and was just in our street for a few hours. :(
I must find my Adobe Photoshop CD-Rom so I can re-install it, to crop the image.

What do you's all think now I have cropped it?

oldcar1.jpg

Thanks,

Dave
PS: just checked this. Anyone got any idea why it hasn't worked?

[/b]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back