Carbon fiber tripod - recommendations?

randym77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a lightweight tripod to take hiking. I don't carry a lot of gear while hiking, but I would like to bring a tripod. My aluminum tripod is too heavy, so I'm looking at carbon fiber. (I know, it's expensive.)

Small and light is what I'm looking for. I won't be using it with heavy glass. Probably just a 40D and a normal lens. I'm only 5' tall, so short is fine.

Also welcome ball head recommendations.

I did search the forums, but the recommendations I found were not for models that are currently available. Either that, or I'm really terrible at Googling.

Think about the head, too... A fat head weighs as much, if not more, than the legs.

And if you're shooting at around 1/20th of a sec, there's a real potential for camera shake and vibration - ge a cable release, hang a bag from the bottom of the tri-pod for extra weight, or consider getting something heavier after all.

Thanks for the replies! The Gitzo 1550T does look good:

http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/git...9:3CAT:CC49:4CAT:D358&curMarketId=MARKET:MKT1

I like that it folds up to only 14".

Someone told me it's best to stick with three segments, like the GT1531:

http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/git...9:3CAT:CC49:4CAT:D208&curMarketId=MARKET:MKT1

But that one only folds up to 24", and that's a big difference.

As for ball heads...I'm looking at the Really Right Stuff BH-25. Or maybe one of the Gitzo Magnesiums?

the fewer segments the stronger and more stable the tripod is - of course this does mean it can't fold up as small as the 5 segment edition - depends on your priority when traveling

Yup... you are right.. less segments == more stable BUT the OP did say "lightweight" and "hiking".

I've been searching for a extremely lightweight tripod to carrry along with a lightweight system (for years now). No matter what I keep returning to the 1550T. For its compact size and lightweight, its pretty darn stable. Significantly better than the Cullmann Magic 2 I'm using now (I still like it for what it is). For me... its just matter of saving enough cash up for it (you know how it goes... unexpected expenses pop up). For times that stability is the upmost important, than the ol'aluminum tripods (3001, 3021 manfrotto/bogens for example) are the way to go.

Price, Strength, Compact... you have to choose which two is most important.

btw... keep an eye out for max weight (load) ratings. The 1550T usually includes a ball head within the package that allows the legs to fold upwards. Also... I think there is a 4 section traveler as well.. IIRC 1540T that is also a good option.

For full size carbon fibre, I also like the Velbon Sharpa pros.

My tripod has 8 extensions. :D

From 20 CM to 100+ CM :lol:

It's a $20 tripod with a $200 ball head on it. ;)

The ball head adds 10 CM to it and weighs about the same as the legs.

Both are metal though and not carbon.

All together it weighs 540 grams or 1.2 lbs. (just weighed it! :D)

Fully extended I guess it's weight limit is about 5 or 6 lbs. IF you're super careful and 4 lbs. isn't a problem at all.

Half extended I guess 15 lbs. would be OK.

Collapsed I think you could have 30 ~ 40 lbs. camera on it if you can balance it . Hehehe...

Here it is, my tripod. :lmao:

After having this little guy I wouldn't own any other (for a lightweight travel pod).

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward the 1550T. Everyone who has it seems to love it.

Do you have a Feisol? I looked at their web site. The tripods look very bulky compared to the Gitzos. But they're a lot cheaper.

Think about the head, too... A fat head weighs as much, if not more, than the legs.

Yeah. My Gitzo 1377M Magnesium head weighs 2 lbs -- not insignificant.

I have a 3530 Moutaineer I use it with a 40D and canons EF 400 f/2.8 but were talking 18+lbs ( with a Wimerly II head). But get a Gitzo for whatever weight your gonna support and never look back. A little overkill will negate wind problems and hanging more weight. Makes it easier if you need to move quickly...Just a thought!

Last edited:
I have the 4 section Manfrotto Mag Fiber tripod, and love it. It doesnt fold down as small as the Gitzo, but with a 486-RC2 head on it, it is not very big or heavy, probably lots cheaper as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back