Carbon fiber tripod - recommendations?

I have a Manfrotto 055MF3 (3 sections carbon fiber) with a 460MG head (3 way magnesium head). This set up is fairly light (but not very compact) and is incredibly steady. I use it with a medium format camera and never had any problem with stability even when fully extended.

Thanks for the recommendations, all. I'm leaning toward the Feisol. Looking at the specs, it seems to be in the "sweet spot" for cost vs. functionality:

Gitzo GT1550T ($675)

Leg Sections: 5
Weight: 2.2 lbs
Closed Length: 14.2 in
Load Capacity: 4.4 lbs

Feisol CT-3441B ($399 - includes ball head)

Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 2.4 lb
Closed Length: 16.9 in.
Load Capacity: 13.2 lbs.

Bogen 055 MF4 ($360)

Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 4.4 lbs.
Closed Length: 21.3 in.
Load Capacity: 15.4 lbs.

It also comes with a ballhead, sparing me the hassle of picking one that fits. (Some have complained that you can't fold up the Gitzo with the ballhead attached.)

Still, I'm wondering if I'll regret not going for the flyweight Gitzo. It's actually heavier than the Feisol (when you add in a ballhead), but seems a lot more compact. Not just shorter, but less bulky all around. (Of course, that means its max load is lower.)

incorrect information.

The Gitzo GT1550T also includes ball head and yes... the legs fold completely upwards (head inward). So no... the GT1550T is still lighter than the Feisol. Not by much. Its still folds down smaller.

The Gitzo GT1550T also includes ball head and yes... the legs fold completely upwards (head inward). So no... the GT1550T is still lighter than the Feisol. Not by much. Its still folds down smaller.

Thanks. The Gitzo web site was down for awhile this weekend, but the descriptions and reviews I read at other sites made it sound like a ballhead was not included. Gitzo.com is back up again today, and you are right. This model does come with a ballhead.

Dang. I really can't decide now...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back