Carnegie Hall

Photo Mech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post here, and I have a specific question. I am going on a trip to NYC with a University Symphonic band, and I am now the official photographer. The guy who does this for a living, is no longer coming. Now, I consider myself a pretty good photographer. I do graphic design for a living, and took a couple photography classes in college. I mostly do outdoor shots, football games, etc. However, I am a bit nervous about being the photographer for their Carnegie Hall performance. Mostly because I do not like doing indoor photos. They do not allow flashes, and they said I will be about 80-100 ft back from the stage, and I am also only allowed to take pictures between songs (I have a Nikon D50, and don't think there is any way to make it completely silent, and thats the only way I'd be able to take pictures during a performance.)

Has anyone ever been inside Carnegie Hall? Even better, has anyone ever had a chance to shoot inside it?

Any help or advice would be great.

I second mikes question and say that if you dont have a good long fast telephoto, think about renting one! You can rent the 70-200 vr for not too much, and it will help you a ton. With that 2.8 a flash might not be required (ive seen performances in Carnegie Hall but have never actually been there).

How about taking your photos during the dress rehearsal and leave them to play without any interruptions in the performance? You might have a lot more freedom to wander around and find yourself nice angles, and your presence (and the noise of the shutter) won't be as disrupting as they would be during the actual performance.

That said, I don't know the inside of Carnegie Hall at all... but I would always discount the use of flash for any kind of stage photography. High ISO and maybe a noise reduction programme later, plus a fast lens, should do "the trick".

How about taking your photos during the dress rehearsal and leave them to play without any interruptions in the performance?

Thats exactly what I would have suggested as well. :)

A good fast lens (the Nikkor 70-200 is not cheap, but it has excellent results. Look into renting one for a few days to get used to it before using it), a tripod and the freedom to move around during a dress rehersal are the best case scenario because USUALLY during dress rehersals, the house lights are up and lighting is quite a lot better.

During the show there is more to the situation than just the issue of distracted musicians... you have to be aware that there will be people there and you have to be respectful of the fact that they paid to be in there without the hassle of being blocked by a roving photographer during the performance.

Yes, take a few pics during the performance... but from the back of the hall or behind stage (in places that would not distract audience or musicians), for effect, but the brunt of the work should be done before the curtains open to a full house. :)

Hey thanks for the suggestions.

I have a 70-300mm lens I will most likely be using from the back. I will also have my tripod. I know a lot about etiquette at concerts and performances as I've attended stuff like this all my life (my father is a University band director). The dress rehearsal does sound like the best time to get any good pictures that won't be all from the same spot.

Rick, the other photographer just decided not to go on a trip. You see, the performance is the Universities' gift to the Director of Bands (my Dads' boss) for his retirement. Since we live in the Midwest, it's not a close by trip, so I think he just decided not to go.

Thanks again for your advice.

Most reactions

Back