Carrying compact camera for everyday life practice

I usually have this with me.
Lol, that's pretty oldschool. But that's not digital so it's not convenient for me.:meh:

Canon's "G" series cameras
Good camera but too thick/expensive. You can't really carry this one in your pocket.
As I can't find used Canon s90 seems like the only legitimate choice is Sony WX50

UPDATE: I'm lucky. Some guy from Moscow is willing to sell me Canon S90 $200 with shipping in excellent condition.

I agree with others, $200 for an S90 seems high. S100 is 2 generations newer and can still be found new for around $300, I would think $200 should get you a used S100.

If you want more options to choose from in the used market, the other camera that I have experiences with is the Panasonic LX5. It's on the same level as the S90/S95 but slight bigger but not as big as Canon GXX. Again, it should be used just around $200.

Also, sorry but Wi-Fi + Manual Controls + under $150 do not go together well as far as I know. You can get $150 one with wi-fi OR with manual controls....probably not both.

My nephew bought a Samsung 15x zoom compact on sale for £99 in the UK and it had wifi built in.

John.

I usually have this with me.
Lol, that's pretty oldschool. But that's not digital so it's not convenient for me.:meh:

Canon's "G" series cameras
Good camera but too thick/expensive. You can't really carry this one in your pocket.
As I can't find used Canon s90 seems like the only legitimate choice is Sony WX50

UPDATE: I'm lucky. Some guy from Moscow is willing to sell me Canon S90 $200 with shipping in excellent condition.

I agree with others, $200 for an S90 seems high. S100 is 2 generations newer and can still be found new for around $300, I would think $200 should get you a used S100.

Well it's actually $173 USD. The other part is the cost of shipping from Moscow to Siberia + insurance.

My nephew bought a Samsung 15x zoom compact on sale for £99 in the UK and it had wifi built in.

John.
I believe those cheap cameras with WiFi capability aren't so great as a cameras and lacking some basic qualities. But of course if WiFi sharing is critical to PropilotBW then great for him!

Last edited:
I bought myself an eye-fi sdhc card, so i can have wifi on virtualy any camera with an sdhc slot.

John.

Honestly, if I were you I would focus more on the P&S having manual mode than wifi but everyone is different. With the camera technologies in the smart phones nowadays, if I was to have no control over my P&S (ie no manual mode), I'd just use my phone.

As a Nikon shooter myself, I am brave enough to say that you cannot go wrong with the Canon S series P&Ss. :) If you cannot get a good picture from a S90/95/100/110, then either your expectation from a P&S is too high or you're doing something wrong. :)

I am in the market for a new point and shoot under $150, as well.
I don't take my DSLR flying with me, for theft and damage concerns, plus it's bulky. I always have my iPhone, but I often find the quality lacking on some shots.
Most work shots are just snaps, so I share them with my family. I am looking for wifi capability, like the iPhone, of an instant share

something like this. Samsung WB30F 16.2Megapixel Digital Camera Red ECWB30FZBPRUS - Best Buy

I don't think you will find P&S with Wifi capability under $150 or even $200. I did my research on the same budget and found out that currently, there's two great P&S for our budget:

My brother-in-law has used Samsung point and shoots for years - and still loves them. Some of that built -in web functionality looks appealing for sure.

------------------------

Here is a real interesting camera that I just found that would really be the type of compact that I would want to take with me. As I mentioned previously - having a point and shoot that offers advantages over my DSLR (other than size and weight) - - - would really make it a better value so that it could be useful even when we have our dslr with us. The Fujifilm FinePix XP60 looks like a pretty useful little camera for around $175 US.

Here is a fun video that I found - using the FinePix XP60 in water and at the high frame rates:

Amazon has pretty good pricing. In fact if you can handle a RED one, it's listed at $162.31 & FREE Shipping
Amazon.com: Fujifilm FinePix XP60 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red): Camera & Photo

Staples Canada has them listed for $169.44

JUST ANOTHER ONE TO THROW INTO THE MIX :)

REVIEW : Fujifilm FinePix XP60 Review | PhotographyBLOG

Hmm that's pretty good

Did you click on my link? Obviously not. $130 for a wi-fi camera.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back