Carrying long lens on Ebike/bike

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I decided that I am getting an ebike and I want to carry my EM1-X and the 150-400 Pro with me. The ebike I am getting will have both a rear rack and front basket. I would prefer to carry it on the front basket and will not carry in a pannier. Not sure I like on top of the back rack either. Like to have it in front so I can keep an eye on it. This is a very expensive lens and I want it well protected. Using the ebike will replace a lot of my hiking and I really don't want to use a lesser lens on my trips. Anyone here doing the same, carrying a long lens while biking? I wonder if I just get a camera bag and just strap that to the front basket or if there are other solutions.
Backpack is not an option. Nothing worse than riding with a backpack and messing up your centre of gravity.

***Edit

It was a very late night post and I should have given more information.
This is a 10k lens so I need it to be properly protected
I am not sure if having it on the rack if vibrations could possibly hurt it in the long run
Has anyone come across or used special cases meant for strapping to a bike to hold equipment as large as a 400mm lens (something like a pelican case)
Although I will not be doing any tough mountain biking trails with this ebike its possible I will be on trails with bumps and such.
I would hate to wear a backpack while riding especially if its bulky. But may consider if I can find something that is just big enough to fit my lens and camera and not protrude too much.

Last edited:
I'd go with a camera bag large enough to fit the camera and lens, and strap it in the front basket. Try a short "around the block" trip first. I have carried my old D40 and 18-135 kit lens in the bag mounted to the rear of my bike, but haven't done it ith the D750 + 70-200.

Millions of people ride bikes carrying rucksacks and seem to cope just fine...:confused-72:

If your lens costs alot it may be worth it to build a custom case secured to the front basket with padding inside. Actually screw it, build a case, rip the basket off and bolt the case in its place. Then you know the camera won't fall off and it's readily accessible.
My camera bag won't fit in my saddle bags so I have to tie it down on the fat chick seat with ratchet straps. It's secure, but takes about ten minutes every time I want to get the camera out. I need to build a bolt on case.
Just what I need, another project........

Millions of people ride bikes carrying rucksacks and seem to cope just fine...:confused-72:

Yes millions of people ride a bike and carry a camera. Not many ride a bike and carry a long 400mm birding\wildlife lens. I edited my first post to give more information. I saved a lot of money to get my dream lens and I want it protected as mush as possible and still allow me ease with biking.

I'd go with a camera bag large enough to fit the camera and lens, and strap it in the front basket. Try a short "around the block" trip first. I have carried my old D40 and 18-135 kit lens in the bag mounted to the rear of my bike, but haven't done it ith the D750 + 70-200.

I think I am worried that a regular camera bag may not be sufficient enough. Large, heavy and expensive lens. Whatever I use must be able to fasten very securely. I edited my original post to add more information.

If your lens costs alot it may be worth it to build a custom case secured to the front basket with padding inside. Actually screw it, build a case, rip the basket off and bolt the case in its place. Then you know the camera won't fall off and it's readily accessible.
My camera bag won't fit in my saddle bags so I have to tie it down on the fat chick seat with ratchet straps. It's secure, but takes about ten minutes every time I want to get the camera out. I need to build a bolt on case.
Just what I need, another project........

Yeah, something like this might be best. The biggest problem is that it is a very large lens. I am thinking I would keep the basket since it is rated for 30kg. Then maybe something like a pelican case that I modify so can be strapped securely to the basket. I was hoping others have done something similar or there already exists hard cases meant to strap to bikes. I may just have to go with a backpack of some sort but I am really really trying to avoid that.

Yeah, something like this might be best. The biggest problem is that it is a very large lens. I am thinking I would keep the basket since it is rated for 30kg. Then maybe something like a pelican case that I modify so can be strapped securely to the basket. I was hoping others have done something similar or there already exists hard cases meant to strap to bikes. I may just have to go with a backpack of some sort but I am really really trying to avoid that.
If the pelican case fits in the basket it should be pretty easy to ratchet-strap it down. Dedicate two straps to it and cut them to length; when I strap a bag and a tripod down most of the time is spent dealing with the excess tails.

Most reactions

Back