Case for Tamron 200-500mm

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can someone please suggest a good case for a Tamron 200-500 lens? I just received the lens today from Ebay. Came with a soft, velour, pull-string bag that has to go.

I want a separate case for this lens, so that it won't be in my main bag. I rented a Sigma 50-500mm a couple of weeks ago and I loved the case that came with it. Well padded and zippered.

I appreciate anyone's suggestion.

Thanks!

I cannot. But Id love to hear more about the lens once you have time to try it out and such. :)

Mark

I will be offering for sale a pristine, Nikon mount, Sigma APO 150-500 mm f/5-6.3 DG HSM OS in the next couple of days. I need to made some images of it, the original box, and the case.

Here it is mounted on a gripped D90, but the photo isn't recent but the lens looks exactly the same today (and the D90 isn't included :thumbdown:):

BigmaD90.jpg

Here's a couple of photo's SOOC made with the lens. Both photo's are at 500 mm & f/6.3 (see EXIF data) :

SoccerD90Broke_037.jpg
091EdelPBS007Framed.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot. But Id love to hear more about the lens once you have time to try it out and such. :)

Mark

I have only had it for a few hours and haven't had time to play with it yet. Hopefully I can make some time this weekend. I hope to go to the Smoky Mountains in about a month. Should take lots of pix while there.

Is there anything in particular you want to know? Or just general impressions?

Keith, can I ask why you are selling it? Didn't like it? Don't use it? Found another you like better? I just got my Tamron 200-500 today and am hoping to fall in love.

Keith, can I ask why you are selling it? Didn't like it? Don't use it? Found another you like better? I just got my Tamron 200-500 today and am hoping to fall in love.
I didn't hesitate when I stumbled on the distressed sale of a better lens, a slightly used Nikon 200-400mm f/4 ED VRII.

The sale included a Nikon D3, so I will also be selling one of my 4 - D300's too. The D300 has about 15,000 shutter clicks on it, is also pristine, and will include the original box, etc.

I wish I had the cash to pay for that lens. Id loove to have the BigmOS. Id like to have the Nikon even more, but the BigmOS is my first choice.

As for the Tammy, general impressions. Picture quality..etc. Maybe photos of it mounted or being held?

Mark

As for the Tammy, general impressions. Picture quality..etc. Maybe photos of it mounted or being held?

Mark

Here are some pix of the Tamron 200-500. On the mounted shots, it's on my D90 with a Tamron teleconverter. Without the teleconverter, the lens is 10" long when retracted. When zoomed to 500, it is 13 3/4". and when the hood is attached, it is a whooping 19 1/4". Yep, the hood is 5 1/2" long!

I like the finish on this much better than the Sigma 50-500. It was almost like sandpaper. Didn't match anything.
However, the Sigma had stabilization. I've only shot a very few with the Tamron since I got it yesterday, but I can quickly tell a huge difference when not using a stabilized lens.
With the Sigma I shot about 400 pix at a football game, most at 500mm, while panning to stay with the action and 95% were very sharp and clear. With the Tamron at 500, just here in my backyard, shooting still objects, it is very difficult to get a clear, handheld shot unless I raise the shutter speed to compensate. Of course, this is a stabilzation issue, not a lens issue.

I'll get some shots posted as soon as I have time to shoot some.

DSCN6835.jpg

DSCN6836.jpg

DSCN6837.jpg

DSCN6839.jpg

Last edited:
So, back to my original question......anyone know of a good case big enough to fit this 10" lens?

I found this Case Logic item on Amazon.com and ordered it for my Tamron 200-500mm. I'll post later in the week when it arrives and let everyone know if it fits properly.

Domke makes some really sturdy lens cases. They have the typical canvas exterior and built like a tank. They make them up to the 300 f/2.8 range of lenses.

Holy cow! That really is a massive beast when extended with the hood. And even just extended! Any idea how this compares with the Sigma 150-500 w/hood fully extended?

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back