Cases/ Storage Methods For Transporting Studio Gear

Tee

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello TPF lads and lasses-

I have some gigs coming up that will be location/ studio based. Generally, I just pile everything in my car and roll. However, with more frequents gigs coming up I'd like to streamline my efficiency, packing, and transporting.

My question is: what types of bags/cases/satchels do you use to bring your gear in? Is it 10 different pieces like mine? Do you have big roll boxes that can fit the kitchen sink?

I would like to streamline down to 3 or less components (aside from my camera/ lens bag):

1. studio lights and cables
2. softboxes/ modifiers
3. stands/ misc accessories

I have been looking at various dedicated units designed for this but, wow, they can get expensive. I'm looking for out of the box ideas or if you have recommendations for proven carry units I'm all ears. I'm a newly starving college student so budget has become a factor. I'd like to stay below $100 per unit.

Thanks!

Pelican case'es are the best you cant beat them. I use them for my big lenses like my 600mm and 800mm and i check them when i fly those thing can take a major beating and every thing inside will be fine.

Think of it this way.

If you have a 2,000+ dollar peace of equipment you don't skimp on a good case. Nor should you buy a expense item then buy the cheapest case for it. You trusting say 100 dollar case on a 3k item is kinda dum.

Spend the extra money on a better case and pelican cases arnt that much any ways if you compare them to the cost of the item it protects.

Ok Doke

I have three ballistic nylon padded cases; two are like suitcases, and have an outer pocket that holds flash cables and power cable + synch cord. Inside is a compartment for triggers, one that hold two 7-inch grids, and 2-202VF heads. I have a pair of those. I also have a "square" ballistic nylon case that holds a 400 W-s power pack and three flash heads and some accessories like grids and diffusers. I also have a DIY rolling luggage cart that has two large-sized heavy duty milk crates which stack. In the bottom, I carry thw Tronix Explorer 1200 and a 400 to 800 W-s power pack and cable for the Tronix-to-pack, and one spare flash head. In the top crate, I put stands and umbrellas in tubes, and bungee everything together. I also have a fitting that allows me to mount a Manfrotto light stand to the extending handle of the cart, so I have basically, appr. 30 pounds of ballast (18 lb TRONIX + 11 lb Speedotron power supply), and about 10 feet of light stand capability. For over-under or clamshell set-ups, I have a clamp that can be mounted on the light stand's main shaft for the under or fill light, plus a second clamp that can mount on top of the handle.

For indoors and park-type shoots, it allows me to "hand truck" my stuff in, and NOT need to set up a light stand....the main stand is mounted (bolt and fittings and collar dealio) to the extending handle of the American-made luggage rack. If I want to bring in extra stuff, I just bungee the tubes to the handle, or put the ballistic nylon cases into the top crate, and their handles work great to hold it on.

I am interested in getting one of those, three-weheeled "baby stroller type" carts for beach/offroad type use, with the three 13-inch bike wheels and tires.

You trusting say 100 dollar case on a 3k item is kinda dum.

I'm aware of that. However, many times the long time shooters have found ways to have quality work arounds at affordable prices.

I have three ballistic nylon padded cases; two are like suitcases...

What brand and where did you buy them?

They are unbranded...I got them at the all-city garage sale weekend. They were initially made for an old portable computer and workstation set-up for an insurance company. I posted some photos of them about 8 months ago. I will see if I can find the pics (iPhone snaps...should be within the last 25,000 iPhone shots I have done.) NO BRAND is visible on the cases, but I bought em, for $5 each from a guy who used to manage an insurance branch office. The quality seems on par with Tenba or whatnot. They were brand new when I bought them.

Funny, all my large Canon glass came with perfectly good hard cases that are molded exactly to the shape and form of my lenses. Perfect fit. But then my 200mm f2, 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8 weren't $2,000.00 lenses. God do I wish.

I use similar stuff just to Darell. Soft bags with padding for heads and such, found a couple of no name bags that will hold two stands and softboxes each and for smaller stuff, a fishing lure box.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back