Pics from an Agfa Shur Flash (circa 1935 box)

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had this little guy for several years, just sitting on display like any 80+ year-old box camera should.

Agfa Shur Flash 2.jpg

We had some CineStill 50 Daylight film in the fridge. I rarely shoot color film of any kind, but thought the film speed would marry up with this box camera pretty well. It's hard to find many specifics on this camera, circa 1935 beginning production.

Sent the negatives to The Dark Room, in California, and they just emailed their own scans - still awaiting the actual negatives.

These are all from a quick walkaround the town square, about a week before Memorial Day.

I was expecting nothing from this shot, pointing towards the sun like this, but was thinking maybe the flags would show up, highlighted by the sun. I'm tickled with that shadowy courthouse. The frame captures a larger area than the viewfinder would have you believe.

There are a couple of thin scratches along the right side of this frame.

Soldier.jpg

This frame is better, and shows off some vignetting. With the lightly strreaking water here, our guess is about a shutter speed of 1/50. Maybe?

Fountain - Brad.jpg

This frame has some clear light leaks along the top - was the last one on the roll. Also shows the falloff of sharpness better, as it moves toward the right. It *could be* from curled film, since again this was the last frame on the roll. I really don't like having others develop my film, but this outfit really did fine for what it is.

Grocery building.jpg

This shows the viewfinder:

Agfa Shur Flash 3.jpg

And the high-tech shutter release:

Agfa Shur Flash 1.jpg

I do like my low-tech gear. Isn't it cute? :586: This was a pleasant surprise, since I'd never bothered checking to see if it was functional.

Pretty decent shots. I love it when something like this is more than a museum piece.

Thanks, Charlie - I completely agree.

I'd like to run some B&W through it and develop it myself. I could be overthinking it, but am thinking to stick to slower film....which I don't usually have.

Right now, it reminds me of playing with the Holga, except the vignetting on this is actually clearer. :lol:

You could always pull the film down a stop

This is cool. Lovely results with all things considered. Bright sunny 16 day I'd shoot 50 to 100 iso film. Overcast 200 to 400. My best guess is that it's probably f11 and 1/30s shutter but most film has a broad latitude. Film photography project has some interesting low ISO film or they use to as I recall.

I'm assuming these are untouched by PS, is that right? I like the thought of that. Nice shots either way.

This is cool. Lovely results with all things considered. Bright sunny 16 day I'd shoot 50 to 100 iso film. Overcast 200 to 400. My best guess is that it's probably f11 and 1/30s shutter but most film has a broad latitude. Film photography project has some interesting low ISO film or they use to as I recall.
Thanks! You could be spot on about the shutter - all I have found online is a "between 1/30 - 1/50" vague statement.

I want to try 100 speed next time, and develop my own. Curious about those scratches on the first frame, and tapping my foot waiting to get these negatives back.

I'm assuming these are untouched by PS, is that right? I like the thought of that. Nice shots either way.
Thanks! Resized and slightly bumped contrast. This Cine film is made to be low contrast, retro looking stuff, so there's little to do.

Nice! I really like the looks of those old cameras. And, I like the way they shoot.

Most reactions

Back