Casual portraits, C&C appreciated

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mother knitted a shawl for my fiance to wear if she gets chilly at our wedding, and gave it to her today. Naturally, I took the opportunity to practice come casual portraits with her modeling her new accessory... All shot with my D800 and 50mm f/1.4, natural light. I don't usually shoot portraits with my 50 just because I'm not used to the perspective it produces for portraits, but it was the only lens I brought with me, so I made due. C&C appreciated.

2. Slightly different pose. Can't decide which I like better.

3. I know cropping the arms on the vertical like this is usually a no-no, but, well, it is what it is.. It was a spontaneous shot.

4. Possibly one of my all time favorites of her.

5. And of course the eventual "Can we be done yet?" face that comes out at some point..

Not bad. Good focusing and good depth of field placement with such shallow DOF. Soooo many people blow these kinda shots, but you got that limited DOF band place very well. Lovely color coordination. Green-eyed lady, white with green floral dress, green backdrop, green shawl, and a select few yellow flowers. Very simple, very understated. Pretty good for just having a 50mm with ya!

it looks like you were shooting down towards her a little bit. try getting yourself just a little lower with her

1&2 are the best, and pretty good actually :) . I wouldn't have included the others as they aren't very flattering to her.

#2 is the best IMO, and better than #1 simply due to hand-placement. I'm not sure though that I like the yellow dots in the background. It might not hurt to tone them done a bit.

Not bad. Good focusing and good depth of field placement with such shallow DOF. Soooo many people blow these kinda shots, but you got that limited DOF band place very well. Lovely color coordination. Green-eyed lady, white with green floral dress, green backdrop, green shawl, and a select few yellow flowers. Very simple, very understated. Pretty good for just having a 50mm with ya!

Thanks Darrel!

it looks like you were shooting down towards her a little bit. try getting yourself just a little lower with her

Thanks for the feedback! In general, I would agree. I wonder though, if I had gone lower, I might have lost the shoulder into the oof area since the dof was pretty thin..

2 by a nose

Thanks Traveler, I think I agree, by a nose as well..

1&2 are the best, and pretty good actually :) . I wouldn't have included the others as they aren't very flattering to her.

Thanks paige! I probably should have clarified that I really only posted 3 & 5 for fun, but I see your point. Guess that's a consequence of late night tired posting... I just enjoy sharing the goofy ones :)

#2 is the best IMO, and better than #1 simply due to hand-placement. I'm not sure though that I like the yellow dots in the background. It might not hurt to tone them done a bit.

Much appreciated tired. I play with them in PS and see what it looks like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back