Catching A Bullet

Thanks all for the math, suggestions, and advice. I don't have the resources to hand load, or to shoot in a dark environment. And I'm not willing to trust anyone to special load some really slow rounds, at least not in my guns. I will still try, with manufactured low recoil or sub-sonic ammo. Maybe I'll get pretty lucky.

Once again, THANKS!

Thanks all for the math, suggestions, and advice. I don't have the resources to hand load, or to shoot in a dark environment. And I'm not willing to trust anyone to special load some really slow rounds, at least not in my guns. I will still try, with manufactured low recoil or sub-sonic ammo. Maybe I'll get pretty lucky.

Once again, THANKS!

You don't have the resources to go outside at night?

I can do that. I just can't safely and legally fire off a few hundred rounds. The only range in my local area I'm willing to go to closes at sunset. The indoor range isn't an option because of their lack of judgment when it comes to safely handling firearms.

Here's how I've been attempting it:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/187725-high-speed-photos-how.html

I need to find some slower ammo or a flash with a shorter burst if I want to stop the projectile completely. My main goal was to just get stuff to blow up. Here's the closest I came to freezing the ammo from a 1100fps pellet rifle:

Inside of the last balloon:
main.php

on the right of the can:
main.php

exiting the (empty) bottle
main.php

Those were shot with a D50 and SB-600. Certainly nothing fancy.

Nobody remembers the Nikon FM2's original North American advertising campaign, showing a .38 Special bullet stopped in mid-air by the FM2's then-unheard of 1/4000 second top shutter speed??? Of course, that was not a hot load--it was a pretty pokey load, and as I recall, the velocity was given in the ad's fine print as something like only 400 F.P.S..

I remember that ad, and it was BS advertising. Even at a velocity as low as 400fps, the bullet is still traveling 1.2" within 1/4000sec, and 0.6" in 1/8000sec. Way to fast to "freeze" with shutter alone. Even an arrow traveling at a paltry 150fps is going to move 0.225" (1/4") in 1/8000.

rallysman, those are some pretty cool shots.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of my old shooting pictures.
My old 3.2mp sony P&S had a mulit-burst (I think is what it was called) setting. It would capture 16 frames in 2 seconds and create one image.
3782749377_d7f4f7de6d_o.jpg

I would take that image and crop out the good frame.

3782748551_063ef048cb_o.jpg
3783558508_41e9f48fbc_o.jpg

3782748683_9d89337374_o.jpg
3782748797_1f703ed72f_o.jpg

The first three were my .45 and the last was my brother with his .357

While we didn't actually catch the bullet we did catch the flash.

I can hardly wait to retry this with my T1I.

Last edited:
use a .22short in a .22 LR.....just kidding i would not do that unless you had a gun you dont care about and some hefty shatter resistant glass...think mythbusters style

Most reactions

Back