gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While visiting St. Augustine earlier this month, I photographed four places of worship. The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine was perhaps the most impressive of the interiors.

p3246987700-5.jpg

p3246987638-5.jpg

p3246987637-5.jpg

p3246987643-5.jpg

p3246987702-5.jpg

p3246987635-5.jpg

p3246987634-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

It is beautiful both inside and out, I was there in January. Got several similar to the ones in your series. The size and layout of the interior makes it difficult to frame. In January the homeless people hanging around everywhere made outside shots equally difficult.

It is beautiful both inside and out, I was there in January. Got several similar to the ones in your series. The size and layout of the interior makes it difficult to frame. In January the homeless people hanging around everywhere made outside shots equally difficult.
Yes...it was impossible to capture any photograph of the exterior of the Cathedral during my visit, so I spent all of my time inside. I'm glad I visited when I did, because the interior was packed with tourists during the rest of my stay.

Glenn

Yes...it was impossible to capture any photograph of the exterior of the Cathedral during my visit, so I spent all of my time inside. I'm glad I visited when I did, because the interior was packed with tourists during the rest of my stay.

I got a few decent ones inside, probably not your level, but I was happy. St. George St, was covered in panhandlers, as was Plaza de la Constitucion across from the Cathedral. Some of them were just trying to survive, but a few were on the aggressive side, and under the influence. I understand the city has passed a new ordinance this year that has helped to drop the numbers of panhandlers in the area. Unfortunately St. Augustine's pleasant weather, and the availability of tourist cash seem to be a magnet for the homeless. The ordinance doesn't address the real problems of the people in need, just moves them along to somewhere else.

I got a few decent ones inside, probably not your level, but I was happy. St. George St, was covered in panhandlers, as was Plaza de la Constitucion across from the Cathedral. Some of them were just trying to survive, but a few were on the aggressive side, and under the influence. I understand the city has passed a new ordinance this year that has helped to drop the numbers of panhandlers in the area. Unfortunately St. Augustine's pleasant weather, and the availability of tourist cash seem to be a magnet for the homeless. The ordinance doesn't address the real problems of the people in need, just moves them along to somewhere else.
Another issue with the number of homeless people in many of these areas is that some of the churches and other buildings are simply locking the doors and not allowing people to enter outside of services. In some of the churches that I've visited, several homeless people were sleeping on the pews in order to stay warm during the winter. In Denver, there were so many homeless people on the stairs of one of the churches that I could hardly make my way to the entrance.

I've noticed that the public libraries in most of the big cities are filled with homeless people. The bathrooms at these libraries are one of the main places that the homeless population gets cleaned up. I saw this in many of these libraries--Los Angeles and Detroit in particular. In Detroit, there was a large group of homeless people standing at the door waiting for the library to open.

During this road trip through Florida, I noticed many homeless people in Tampa. My hotel required the use of the room key to enter the building (even at the lobby area) due to this. As soon as I left the hotel to get something to eat, I was approached by a couple of homeless people asking for money.

It's a shame to see so many people in this condition nearly everywhere I travel. And to your point, I don't see many steps being taken to address it other than just moving them along to somewhere else.

Glenn

As I understand it part of St Augustine's problem developed after a panhandling ordinance in Tampa was ruled to be in violation of free speech. St Augstine quit enforcing thier ordinances against panhandling in fear of a suit. The new law which went into effect this year seeks to address potential issues by not being a blanket law.

Most reactions

Back