Cattle Drive

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few pictures form the cattle drive I went on today. I drove the rear flagging truck. It was a lot of fun to watch. It was overcast and started to rain when the cows finally reached their destination.

I took lots of OOF pictures. These are probably the best and I've done some pp to them.

they are pretty good the last two i would try to make the background a little more saturation

I like #5 a LOT! Nice work.
#1 I would like more if the focus was sharper on the cowboy rather than the cows.

I'll bet this was fun!

1 - Looks like it needs a Marlboro logo. :)
2 & 3 - I imagine you had very little control over your shooting angle, but wish I could see this scene taken from the side (horses and cattle traveling across the shot) rather than head-on.
5 - This is fantastic, I'll bet the young man's parents would love to have a nice print of this one. I suppose composition wise it would be nice to have him slightly higher in the shot, he and the horse are almost scraping the bottom of the frame.

Man! Those are so real I can smell cows--t and saddle leather.

I prefer number 4.
Because that is what happens on cattle drives.

It's a cattle drive, not a little kid drive trying to be cute holding a horse by the reins which is why number 5 is a goner.

Number 6 can take a hike , as well.
Number 5 is the shyt.
I like it.

I like all of the shots a lot, especially #4. You can really feel the vastness of the wilderness.

But I have to question you as to why you shot at ISO 800? The first one was a bit grainy, so I checked your Exif data. I can understand bumping it up for the shots where the cows are running, but the others, I would've had it at 100 if I could get away with it.

Still really nice shots, though. You certainly don't see that too much anymore.

Shot on auto, just take a look at the awful settings your camera chose for the first shot ISO800 1/6000 F5.6 that shot could have been nice but for the noise

I used my 70-300mm lens and shot them using the aperture priority setting. I had my aperture set wide open - I should have stopped it down. Stopping the aperture down would have helped #2 and given it a greater depth of field. It was really overcast and I wasn't sure. The histograms for these were really narrow. I need more work with exposure. The new edition of Understanding Exposure came out on Aug 10 ... when I get my next paycheck - I am going to order it. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Susan

I used my 70-300mm lens and shot them using the aperture priority setting. I had my aperture set wide open - I should have stopped it down. Stopping the aperture down would have helped #2 and given it a greater depth of field. It was really overcast and I wasn't sure. The histograms for these were really narrow. I need more work with exposure. The new edition of Understanding Exposure came out on Aug 10 ... when I get my next paycheck - I am going to order it. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Susan

Check the exif first shot was auto, and it gave you some awful settings, and i think every shot was at ISO800

Most reactions

Back