Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place...

Quentin_Moyer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father asked me to take pictures for his business this weekend.
Simply put, I told him I am a 15 year old photography enthusiast, not a professional commercial photographer.
I'm in no position to take professional grade images to help a business build its reputation.
My father and I are now not on speaking terms because "I can't be bothered to do anything."
What am I supposed to do?! Should I just agree to take the pictures?
I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm a professional because I have a DSLR.

Sorry for the slight venting, I'm just astounded at the situation.

Remember this when you have your own teenager. Why didn't you at least have a go at it?

I was worried about the company's reputation, It's nothing against him at all, I just don't think I could've produced what he was actually hoping for.

If your 15, and your dad won't speak to you because you won't take professional photos for his company, I think he needs to re-think his reasoning. Most 15 year old are cutting the neighbors grass, or delivering news papers to make a few bucks.

What kind of shots is he needing? Product shots or something? What type of business is it?

...I think I would have at least tried. If they suck, just tell him they didn't turn out good and you need more practice first.
This might be a good opportunity for some new gear, lol. "Well, I would do it, Dad ... but, you see ... there's this flash I need to do it..." :lol:

As a father myself I ask, Who paid for most of your gear? Show him some respect and try to produce what he is looking for. All you can do is your best.

Your dad thinks highly of you and want you to do him proud. The point isn't about him getting the greatest photograph. The point is he can be proud of using them being from his son.

Professional or not, it's his choice to use them. You owe it to yourself to give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose.

When I was 15, I was driving fork lifts, moving buckets of chemical products, translating technical specification data and material safety data sheet between languages. I was also translating foreign client letters and information for my dad's business, not to mention designing the graphics and layout for his company website. Did I think I was a pro? Heck no. Did he pay me for it? Well I got a good education without having to worry about loans.

One more word from your complain and I will see you as a typical useless teenager who knows nothing better than moving your thumbs on a stupid qwerty key pad.

Taking some pictures doesn't necessarily mean that someone HAS to use them. Give it a try, and you and your father will see, whether those pictures can be used for his company or not. You will get some experience in the process and your dad will be satisfied, that you have at least tried. ;)

Thanks for your replies, not trying to sound like I'm complaining, I just don't know what to do about the pictures, I didn't want to make him look bad for not doing well. I'll approach him and tell him I'll at least try them and hope for the best. His company just finished a job and they need pictures of the building, interior and exterior.

Do the shoot , it will do both of you good. Hey if it does not hurt anyone , go for it.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I wasn't the best football player but my parents still bragged about how I played. It's a natural thing for him to see you have a good interest in this and to encourage you. If your lens isn't up to snuff, maybe he'll get you a better one. If you need lighting that too. Let him worry about his business.

molested_cow said:
One more word from your complain and I will see you as a typical useless teenager who knows nothing better than moving your thumbs on a stupid qwerty key pad.
Haha, I assure you I'm not. If you're thinking of the type that spends the whole day texting people about how much their parents suck, that's not me.
I just had no faith in myself whatsoever to give him something respectable, sorry if I came off as being arrogant.

Do the adult thing and tell your dad to grow up. If he want's professional photos, and you don't feel that you are shooting at a professional standard, suggest that he hire a professional photographer.

If he won't accept 'no' for an answer, ask him how you'll be compensated for your time and effort.

Owning a DSLR =/= Pro photog

Do it. He's your father, he probably paid for your gear (with money he got from the job) and it's not like he's gonna fire you if it doesn't turn out. Do your best and see what happens. Just imagine how proud of you he'll be if the photos are useable, he'll be bragging to everyone his son took those. It's a win-win for you.

This isn't about photos, it's about you building character.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back