caught red handed? in b/w...

captain-spanky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.higg.co.uk
a-self-portrait.jpg

Any thoughts? Too dark? is there a better crop?
:)

Not too dark for me; I think it's kinda groovy. :wink: I am finding myself studying the image to make sure of what I'm seeing, though. This is a portrait of a graffiti artist, I take it...? At first glance it appeared to me like you'd photoshopped the image of the person.... :LOL:

Either way, I like the starkness of the composition and the lighting here. Nice job!

it's a subway near my girlfriend's house... it used to be filled with the juvenile random and offensive vandalism you can see in the right of the picture but recently some 'real' writers have been down and filled the tunnels with some really nice colours and designs... this one just caught my eye though. I had taken some colour pics of the other art and was on my way back when i rounded the corner and saw that. From a distance i thought the guy was still there spraying and it made me jump a little, but as i got closer i worked out it was a self portrait by the artist... pretty simple but cool i thought.... :D

Definitely a very cool subject. I think you captured it with some style. Nice work.

Great pic! I think it's plenty bright enough, at least on my good monitor. I would crop a tiny bit off the top though, just to have that light run off the page instead of it's corner touching the top edge, if that makes sense... heh heh. Nice work!

Thanks for sharing Captain, it's really well done!

I really thought it was the artist photoshopped.

Neat!

Oh dear: how do I look?

Or in other words: how good is this graffito!!!!

At a first glance I really, really did think there was a person there still spraying.
All that ever distracted me from looking more closely were the neon lights at the ceiling, of which I felt we see too much. Then, however, I thought: he sure wanted to catch the corner they form by going round the corner of the subway.

Today I can say they definitely were too distracting because only now, after I have read the story, am I realising that this is a graffito of the graffiti sprayer! How good must he be to get such a 3-D effect into his painting!

danalec99 said:
I really thought it was the artist photoshopped.

Neat!

I also thought the artist had been delibertly distorted to protect his identy.

The suggestive title manipulated my judgement..."Caught red handed"

I've revisited this photo several times and each time is like looking at it for the first time. It makes me wish I had a paint can and and talent enough to use it.

Were the flourescent lights real or painted?

the lights were real....(and i couldn't decide to leave or crop the 'corner' off the centre flourescent as Lungfarmer suggested... but i went for the option of the least work ;)) I'll see if i can go back tonight and get a colour shot from a different angle for 'illustration' purposes, if you will. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back