CC ethics

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ndancona, Jul 20, 2015.

1. hamlet

hamlet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I once had the chance to critique a photo on G+ but my better nature said that i shouldn't. I'll probably only come here and do that for the benefit of myself and for the person i'm giving advice to, because when i look at other peoples pictures i can be more objective about the flaws and find correlations to the mistakes i'm making in the images i'm too invested in emotionally.

2. vfotog

vfotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

But inviting someone to like your page isn't an invitation to critique. It's not asking a question. Uninvited criticism on a non CC page is like accepting an invitation to a wedding and asking for all to hear why the groom married such an unattractive and stupid woman when he could have done so much better by getting someone younger and thinner and richer...

3. vfotog

vfotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's really not necessary. Most people aren't that stupid that they need to be told how to use Facebook. It's just that special few...

4. FeatherMonkey

FeatherMonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You lot all seem to think there is a way to use Facebook. It's a way of networking like a room of strangers you get everyone else .

It's a room of strangers networking not a directory listing. It's not a directory listing or advert.

You can use it any way you like just like anyone else can.

It's absurd to think there's a right or wrong way of using. It's not the latest incarnation of the yellow pages.

It's nothing more than a place for strangers to communicate. What that is will be everything and anything goes.

It boils down to how you react not expecting strangers to follow imposed guidelines

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Forkie

Forkie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But the same networking rules still apply on Facebook as they do in the real world. You wouldn't go to a photography convention and point out the flaws in a photographer's photos on display at his stall.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. FeatherMonkey

FeatherMonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not the same not close, even if it was whilst you'd not expect it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's a numbers game I'm sure you know more than your fair share of people who you'd rather not talk to.

What some are saying in this thread and expecting I don't think any other industry would expect....

"I have a public facing Web page with the ability to leave comments I only expect positive comments."

I presume the above comment reads just as absurdly to others as it does to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    So the millions of people from all kinds of backgrounds, education levels, cultures, countries, ages etc. etc. SHOULD know FB protocol? Good luck.
    Sorry OP, you are one of the special few.

8. Forkie

Photos NOT OK to edit

A photographer's Facebook business page is a place for the photographer to sell his/her work or services. How can they do that if other photographers who have no place to do so, critique their work?

It has nothing to do with "If you put your work online, you should expect good and bad comments". No, that doesn't fly. Anyone with a modicum of respect for their fellow photographer would not post negative comments on another's work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FeatherMonkey

FeatherMonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not the same no where does it say that's how businesses should use fb that's how you choose to use it. Just like others choose to use it by leaving comments.

No business wants negative comments only a fool would expect none.

10. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Try going to a networking event and critiquing everyone's work. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends.

Photography is a hobby to me, but in my career field of engineering, if I went to a networking event and negatively critiqued my peers, you better believe someone would overhear and my boss/boss' boss/ boss' boss' boss would be contacted and I would get a severe 'talking to'. It's bad business and bad PR to negatively critique another business in the public eye.

True, but businesses will also have the right to: (1) remove your unwanted comments, (2) send a rebuttal private message, (3) block you from their site, (4) not serve you as a customer, and (5) not provide a good reference for you.

Again, a little courtesy goes a long way. You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Unsolicited invitations to "like me or like my page" are nothing more than spam, digital junk mail. Let's face a little reality about Facebook and other sites like it. It cost you nothing, not one red cent. To those that use it, it is nothing more than some FREE advertising. Oh Goody Goody..................... You get what you pay for and you expectations should match that cost as well.

Facebook and other "social media" sites like Facebook gives you this "service" so you can be their carnival hawker to draw them in a crowd. They make their money from all the unsolicited ads they have. Same spam, same digital junk mail. I don't want to pretend I'm a farmer, I don't want to pretend I'm a mofioso, I don't want to crush some candy and I don't want unsolicited "please suck up to me" invitations from the Facebook tools. If you stick fliers on every door in town inviting every unknown Tom, Dick and Mary to your wedding well you are going to get those that have questions and opinions. If you don't think it will happen then you need to get back to the real world or perhaps be a bit more selective in your invitations.

You have a brick and mortor store and someone paints all over the store front, you have a legitimate beef. You buy a domain name, pay someone to build it for you and pay your monthy fee and somebody hacks it again a legitimate beef. Remember if you build that site you don't have to build into it the ability for others to respond or leave comments.

Perhaps taking a trick from the big companies would be a better way to go. Instead of complaining about lemons and throwing them in the trash, make lemonade. Many of the most successful sites don't delete the unfavorible posts, they address them often supplying additional advise, rectifying the problem or even admitting that what was suggested might have some merit and will be looked into in the future.

Like I stated all along, I am not defending the OP or thier actions, both parties lacked tact in the situation. The fact is this is "Social Media" which means a little give and take. S#!% happens sometimes and people get a little askew, but to get your panties all in a wad because you didn't get the the comment you wanted while using some freebee you are taking advantage of equally as tacky.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Forkie

Photos NOT OK to edit

Can I point out that this (bolded) is not the case. Facebook does not spam people to Like your business page at random. In fact, it does the exact opposite. You have to PAY for your page to be advertised in people's News Feeds on a Pay Per Click basis. Yes, Facebook will highlight the fact that someone has liked your business page to that person's friends, but even then, it is only to friends who have related interests already listed in their profile. The other time is if you consciously share your page publicly or someone else shares it on your behalf.

The point of getting people to like your page is so that their friends might like it and their friends' friends might like it too. Like a network, oddly enough. You presume, that if someone doesn't like your work, that they won't like your page, not criticise it openly.

You talk about "in the real world, this" or "in the real world, that" as if Facebook and social media is a fad or phase that will be gone soon and we can all go back to "normal", but the reality is that Facebook and all other social media is the real world. It is the 21st century and these places are where business is done in the 21st century. Therefore, etiquette, good PR and good business practice is as important there as it is/was in your "real world".

As an aside:

I'm not saying this to anyone in particular, but I feel I really must point out that there are a lot of "old timer" photographers out there who continually spout their "Facebook, Flickr, 500px, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media is for happy snappers, MUACS, the unsophisticated, noobs and amateurs. In my day, you printed your portfolio in leather-bound albums , etc., etc" crap. Well, you know what, Old Timer? It is no longer your day. We are now in the day of digital, online, social, global communication and international business and there is an etiquette. An etiquette that is just as important online now as it was in your days of paper, film and dark rooms. Stop thinking of digital as a lesser photography or a lesser business or a lesser interaction and catch up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1