Cell Phone vs DSLR for Streaming/Video

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Barrett Geyer, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Barrett Geyer

Barrett Geyer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all -

Just found this forum and it's great. Wanted to throw my situation at you all for opinions.

I work for a small business and we are looking at producing more YT content and better images. Up to this point we have just used cell phones (Samaung S8/S9 and an iPhone X). Its worked ok for us.

I reached out to a friend who is heavy into streaming and he recommended the Panasonic G7 and a good entry-level DSLR - which I've borrowed from another person to play around with. I'm a total novice, but am learning and understand the concept . Behind ISO, apature priority and shutter priority. I understand the ck accepts, but am not yet able to control pics like I'd want to.

I also understand that no matter how good a cell phone is, it will not have the same sensor size as a DSLR.

So after all that spew, I guess my question to you all is which route would you go? Are the phones in 2019 adequate enough for web images and YouTube, or is there truly no comparison for someone who actually knows how to use a DSLR? Is there a better entry-level DSLR than the G7? I do like it so far - just really cant use it yet.

Thanks all!

2. azay

azay TPF Noob!

For practical purposes, DSLR is preferable, but for those looking for more, the classic system cannot replace SLR. If you're just starting out, it's better to start with the DSLR.
    refer to this site https://fas.st/oMyngi

3. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For vlogging, I'd be looking at a smaller 4k capable unit with an external mic port.

Something like the Sony g7x miii. It can record in vertical and even stream from the camera.

A DSLR will give you no advantage except for lens options, extra weight, extra size, and limited ability.

A phone can do just fine for video, but everything comes down to lighting -- but this is something you shouldn't skimp on regardless of the camera.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think it depends on what you shoot. Most of the smartphone (except some newer high end one) still use a wide angle lens. So certain type of videos may not be too good with a wide angle lens. A friend do some FB video with an wide angle (I assume it is her phone). She is sitting I assume few feet away from the camera, but I do not like the distortion. Sometimes, her head appeared to be bigger and some other times her hands on the desk became larger due to perspective distortion (Perspective distortion (photography) - Wikipedia)

If you are using a camera which allow you to use different focal length, then you can change the focal length of the lens based on the type of video you are recording.

As mentioned, audio recording is, for me, is more important. I can watch a video with so so video quality with good audio, but I may skip a video if audio is need for the video and the audio quality is bad.

I think any camera that allow you to change lens or focal length of the lens, 4K will be better but FHD is good enough for most cases and also allow you attach an external mic will be better (if not you can still use a external audio recorder and sync the audio and video track later).

As for which particular camera? I think it depends on you need, preference and budget. A little 4K point and shoot may work, a DSLR may also work. Of course the mirrorless camera for sure works as well.