Celtic crosses, Inisheer

Magical!

Very lovely image. I come from Wales originally and we also have such crosses. Saint Patrick was also originally from Wales :)

Lovely sky..........
It was the only blue sky day of our trip. It didn't rain all that much but most days were blustery and lots of grey clouds.

Thanks!

Very lovely image. I come from Wales originally and we also have such crosses. Saint Patrick was also originally from Wales :)
Thanks Fred!

The quintessential "Ireland" image!
Inisheer was so beautiful and soooooo Irish!

Not a bad looking place to spend eternity.
Grave stones look old, but is that a year of 2011 in the lower left corner?

Not a bad looking place to spend eternity.
Grave stones look old, but is that a year of 2011 in the lower left corner?

The island has a population of only 260 so I am guessing that the cemetery is still open to all residents. There were definitely some newer style headstones mixed in, I'll have to see if I got any photos of those. This cemetery also has a sunken church in the center of it that I have a couple of photos of. I took well over 1K photos and haven't had any free time to weed through most of them. When I find the photos of the church and any other headstones I'll add them to this thread.

As for spending eternity - we were joking that in Ireland the dead and the livestock all have ocean views!

Nice image. I love the colors.

Nice image. I love the colors.

Thanks yes the colors on this one blew me away when I saw it on my ipad for the first time! Sadly, I lost my cheap Walmart polarizing filter later that day at the Cliffs of Moher. I had bought that on a trip to NH that turned out much sunnier than I expected and Walmart was the only option in the area. I've had it in my bag ever since and considering how cheap it was, it has saved me many times over. When the sun finally came out in Ireland I threw it on my lens but I think when I changed lenses later that day I didn't have it on there securely and it must have fallen off unnoticed at some point. I can actually tell exactly where/when it disappeared by looking at the photos in order on the card. I wanted to buy a replacement but the prices in Galway at the camera store were insane. Fortunately/unfortunately it wasn't really sunny again the rest of the trip! Now that I am reminded of this, I am off to Amazon to order a new polarizing filter asap!

Here is the previously mentioned sunken church from our visit to Inisheer:

Untitled by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Most reactions

Back