Change angle of view in post

defishin a fisheye is a different process that does not alter the perspective rendered by the camera placement. And yes you can distort the rendered perspective in software but the rendered perspective determined by the camera placement is just that and in and of itself it is not a distortion.

Joe

Are we still talking about perspective distortion?

If so, it can be adjusted in post. More or less barrelling is easy to do.

Barreling is lens distortion -- that's a different topic and obviously the OP used the wrong term.

Assuming we're talking about using a box camera which I think the OP is (no view camera and no tilt-shift lens), how can such a camera distort perspective? Minus lens distortion (again a separate topic), a camera lens combination renders the perspective determined by the camera position. How is that a distortion?

Joe

defishin a fisheye is a different process that does not alter the perspective rendered by the camera placement. And yes you can distort the rendered perspective in software but the rendered perspective determined by the camera placement is just that and in and of itself it is not a distortion.

Joe

Are we still talking about perspective distortion?

If so, it can be adjusted in post. More or less barrelling is easy to do.

Barreling is lens distortion -- that's a different topic and obviously the OP used the wrong term.

Assuming we're talking about using a box camera which I think the OP is (no view camera and no tilt-shift lens), how can such a camera distort perspective? Minus lens distortion (again a separate topic), a camera lens combination renders the perspective determined by the camera position. How is that a distortion?

Joe

Dear God.. that's dangerously close to .. science... {shudder}

Ok, I need to walk away now.. just walk away.. lol

It's called cropping. People do it all the time.

Joe

Until the OP comes back and tries to sort out this mess, I think I'll just shut up now.

I can buy any software to do this with.

I am using photoshop and CR (camera raw) at the moment but am not limited to it.

I understand that the lens distortion feature in photoshop CR can adjust barrel distortion but I would like a method to specifically edit my 16mm image so that it shows (more or less) exactly the barrel distortion a 24mm equivalent image taken from the exact same place would have shown. And not guess what that might be.

EDIT: I feel like I am in the twilight zone.

Look a portrait taken with a 16-35mm at 16mm from 3 feet away is a wide angle shot with the person looking fat.

Had I zoomed in slightly (from the same spot) they would have looked a little less fat.

I want to find a way to (perspective/lens/barrel distortion/whatever) correct a bunch of these 16mm images so the person looks (exactly!) as fat as they would have looked had I zoomed in to 24mm before taking the pictures.

It is a simple perspective/lens distort/whatever feature in most post processing programs but I need one that can specifically change the distortion between set mm equivalents. And not do it by eye.

It's basically the manual lens correction feature in camera raw, the "distortion slider" to be specific. I need to set it to the right but I don't know by how much to mimic 24mm on a 16mm image.

Last edited:
Two things.
You don't have to.

Look a portrait taken with a 16-35mm at 16mm from 3 feet away is a wide angle shot with the person looking fat.

Had I zoomed in slightly (from the same spot) they would have looked a little less fat.

I want to find a way to (perspective/lens/barrel distortion/whatever) correct a bunch of these 16mm images so the person looks (exactly!) as fat as they would have looked had I zoomed in to 24mm before taking the pictures.

It is a simple perspective/lens distort/whatever feature in most post processing programs but I need one that can specifically change the distortion between set mm equivalents. And not do it by eye.

It's basically the manual lens correction feature in camera raw, the "distortion slider" to be specific. I need to set it to the right but I don't know by how much to mimic 24mm on a 16mm image.
What you describe is called cropping. Even the most basic photo editors can do it.

I don't think it will have the effect that you think it will have though. They wouldn't have looked 'less fat'.

I am using photoshop and CR (camera raw) at the moment but am not limited to it.

I understand that the lens distortion feature in photoshop CR can adjust barrel distortion but I would like a method to specifically edit my 16mm image so that it shows (more or less) exactly the barrel distortion a 24mm equivalent image taken from the exact same place would have shown. And not guess what that might be.

EDIT: I feel like I am in the twilight zone.

As far as I know? Nope. Post processing software is designed to remove barrel distortion, not increase it. You might be able to get something like the effect your looking for using Photoshop, Free Transform, and warp - but you'll have to do it by eye and there isn't going to be any sort of precise control.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must run screaming from the room like a little girl before any more science is discussed.. lol

OK, let's make this simple:

Given: This is the original image:

BarrellDistortion1.jpg

Do you want to do this to it:?

BarrellDistortion2.jpg

Or this:?

BarrellDistortion3.jpg

...........It is a simple perspective/lens distort/whatever feature in most post processing programs but I need one that can specifically change the distortion between set mm equivalents. And not do it by eye...........

I seriously doubt such a function exists. More to the point, can it even be created?...... given the absolute staggering number of different lenses on the market, and the different ways each one renders an image at a given focal length. What I mean by this is... a Nikkor 14-24 @ 24mm is going to have a different barrell distortion than, say, a 24-120 at the same 24mm. And every Nikon lens will each have a different rendering of the distortion. As well as Canon, Pentax, Voigtlander, Leica, Casio, Kodak, Panasonic, Minolta, Vivitar, Rokinon, Tokina, Tamrom, Promaster, Samyang, Ricoh, Zeiss, Sigma, Spiratone........ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

Two things.
You don't have to.

What you describe is called cropping. Even the most basic photo editors can do it.

I don't think it will have the effect that you think it will have though. They wouldn't have looked 'less fat'.

Josh is correct here.

This is false. Had you zoomed in from the same spot you would have cropped the scene but the perspective would not change. Your portrait subject would appear equally fat in both photos. You are confused. To change the perspective you MUST move the camera. There is no post software option that can actually alter your photo to allow you to move the camera after the fact. There is however post software that can distort your image and may produce an effect similar to what you're fantasizing about. I gave you a link to the best: DXO Viewpoint. Photoshop also has a filter that might help you it's called Adaptive Wide Angle.

The distortion slider in ACR removes lens distortion (barrel/pincushion) which is entirely unrelated to perspective and the problem you're complaining about which was caused by you being too close to the subject. Distorting your photo by simulating pincushion distortion isn't what you're looking for. DXO Viewpoint will come as close as possible for you.

Joe

Last edited:
You guys are wonderful blessings to the forum, jesus saves.

What the dude wants to do is make the parts of the person that were closer to the camera smaller, as if the person was shot from a little farther away. Yes, he's wildly unclear, and he doesn't realize that he'd need to zoom in -- and step back, but if you're following along and paying attention it's obvious. He was too close when he took the shot, he used a wide angle setting. The noses are too big, the bellies are too big, the feet and ears are too small, everything looks distorted and unflattering.

This is gonna be hard, OP. You need to make selective adjustments to every element of the person that's in frame. The parts that were closest to the camera (noses, bellies, whatever) need to be shrunk slightly. The parts that were farther away need to be enlarged a bit. What makes this hard is that often the parts that need to be enlarged are tucked in behind something that needs to be shrunk. Imagine you took a close up face shot:

The tip of the nose, shrink it. The bridge of the nose, shrink it, but progressively less as you go up it., the eyes, enlarge a little. Chin, enlarge a bit MORE, it's farther from the center of the lens than the eyes, ditto forehead. Ears, enlarge quite a bit.

It's a 3D puzzle. Software cannot do it, because the 2D image doesn't have the 3D information needed to fix the picture, although I suppose it could guess. You can probably mitigate the effects of lens distortion a little with these sorts of adjustments, but push it too far and errors are going to creep in that make it look extremely weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are ******..........

So, just because you're the first one to figure out what the OP really means and want to accomplish makes the rest of us idiots worthy of swearing at?

Merry Christmas to you, too!
SleighSmileyReindeer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back