What's new

Changing Lenses

USAF-SSgt

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Location
Charleston, SC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Changing Lenses
Hey all,

I have a question about changing lenses. I am always freaking out about when switching out which lens I have on the camera because I am so nervous about something getting into either the camera or back of the lens itself. I do hold the camera facing down when I switch glass to help prevent dust and stuff from getting into the guts, so do you think I'm stressing to much? I want to enjoy this brand new hobby, so I don't want to be constintantly worried about my gear. I don't yet have a blower to clean inside yet and I, but again, I not sure how fragile those parts are.

Also, how well do you think the camera's sensor cleaning/shaking system works?

Please help ease my fear that I'm gonna mess up my Canon Rebel XS.
 
Things will get dirty, no matter what you do.

The common word on lenses that cover long focal ranges such as an 18-250 style lens is that while the lens is practical for its varying focal lenght, the optical quality is not as good as if you had say a 17-50, which itself is not as good as if you had a 50 prime.

Pros tend to frown on the long focal range lenses when they are doing paid shoots. They need top image quality. However, when travelling and not wanting to bring their entire assortment of lenses, some opt for the 18-250 style lenses.

I wouldn't change lenses in a sand storm or hurricane, but every day use is fine. I try and be as careful as I can, often changing the lens inside my bag as my bags both give me the room inside to change lenses, thus limiting problems.

But yeah, I wouldn`t want to NOT change lenses and NOt get the shot because I was worried some dust would get in. It will happen, no matter how careful I am
 
Don't worry about it! :)

Dust is part and parcel of working with digital photography and dust is going to get into your camera at some point - you just can't stop it. Aiming the camera down and (if your in a very dusty environment like a dessert) you can use a changing bag (a simple bag you put the gear into and then change over) to help keep the dust down.

Also unless your shooting small apertures a lot (f8 or smaller- bigger f number) you are most likley not going to even notice dust on your sensor, even at fullsize.

Learning to clean your camera out is the best method you can use and there are a lot of guides online for how to do this well (just punch in DSLR sensor cleaning into google). Often just a blow out with an air blower (not compressed air - not ever that!) will be enough.
 
Where do you take your camera(s) to get them cleaned?

In regard to lenses, when you gain zoom range with a lens (18-250mm) do you risk losing quality throughout the spectrum? Basically, do some manufactures try and fit TOO much versatility into a single lens?
 
Things will get dirty, no matter what you do.

The common word on lenses that cover long focal ranges such as an 18-250 style lens is that while the lens is practical for its varying focal lenght, the optical quality is not as good as if you had say a 17-50, which itself is not as good as if you had a 50 prime.

Pros tend to frown on the long focal range lenses when they are doing paid shoots. They need top image quality. However, when travelling and not wanting to bring their entire assortment of lenses, some opt for the 18-250 style lenses.

I wouldn't change lenses in a sand storm or hurricane, but every day use is fine. I try and be as careful as I can, often changing the lens inside my bag as my bags both give me the room inside to change lenses, thus limiting problems.

But yeah, I wouldn`t want to NOT change lenses and NOt get the shot because I was worried some dust would get in. It will happen, no matter how careful I am

I guess you were responding when I was typing my followup.. So quality does go down when range goes up. Does it go down enough that a new hobbiest with a critical eye would notice, or would one have to be a seasoned pro?
 
Shot with an 18-250, can you spot the flaws?

651580888_c3qmi-M.jpg


651578672_vfkR7-M.jpg


586392555_fDkRW-M.jpg


639313682_N6FiA-M.jpg


579280969_YxjeW-M.jpg
 
any reason you're posting up images on the op's thread?

It appears as though he is trying to make a point using photographs.

Did that somehow bother you, or was there urine in your cornflakes this morning? Or likely, some sort of forum policy i'm unaware of.

:sexywink:
 
any reason you're posting up images on the op's thread?

He asked:
"So quality does go down when range goes up. Does it go down enough that a new hobbiest with a critical eye would notice, or would one have to be a seasoned pro?"

So I showed him samples so he could decide if it was an issue or not... is that OK with you? Sorry if I missed the memo. :lol:
 
Don't worry about it :) I used to but now since I shoot nearly all primes or specialty lenses (macro, ultra-wide), I am constantly changing them in and out, generally on the run in the middle of a wedding or chasing down a two year old (family session).

I do as bigtwinky said, smaller focal ranges for professional and then if I'm going on vacation or a non-photography specific outting, I will take my 18-200 and my 50mm 1.8 for low light and leave the other stuff at home.
 
i'm the same as well but then i see some people really taking their time when changing lens and not even facing the body downwards so i guess its just the noobs who care TOO much :-s
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom