changing the size of video files?

gayle23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I made use of the video on my Nikon D33oo for the first the other day. I got a nice recording of my daughter singing that I wanted to share on Facebook but it doesn't seem able to as I'm guessing the file size is too large. Rather than cutting the video does anyone know a way of changing the file type into something that takes less space? Like when you resize photos. Also do people here resize their photos before/after editing? Is it the done thing or does it reduce the quality too much? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you Gayle

Is the video hosted elsewhere on the internet, or are you trying to upload it directly to Facebook from your computer?
What video format (file type) is the video in now? MP4?

Video is a string of still photos shown at a rate of 25 or so frames per second.
So video files are way bigger than the file of a single still photo.
Yesterday I posted a 2:33 second video here on TPF I have hosted at YouTube. It has a file size of 213 MB.
TPF has a file size limit of about 4 MB.

Rule #1 for editing is to only edit a copy of the original.
Rule #2 for editing is to edit in the deepest color bit-depth available. The Internet has an 8-bit depth standard. Raw files made with a DSLR are 12 or 14-bit depth files.
Rule #3 is to edit is the broadest (more colors) color space available. The Internet is pretty much limited to the sRGB color space, but whenever possible I edit in the ProPhoto RGB color space because ProPhoto has more colors.
Photo Editing Tutorials

Some still photo file types not only reduce the bit-depth, they also use other file size compression techniques that significantly reduce how much a digital photograph can be edited. JPEG is a lossy, 8-bit color depth file type that significantly reduces how much a digital photograph can be edited.

Is the video hosted elsewhere on the internet, or are you trying to upload it directly to Facebook from your computer?

Video is a string of still photos shown at a rate of 25 or so frames per second.
Yesterday I posted a 2:33 second video here on TPF I have hosted at YouTube. It has a file size of 213 MB.

Rule #2 for editing is to edit in the deepest color bit-depth available. The Internet has an 8-bit depth standard. Raw files made with a DSLR are 12 or 14-bit depth files.
Rule #3 is to edit is the broadest (more colors) color space available. The Internet is pretty much limited to the sRGB color space, but whenever possible I edit in the ProPhoto RGB color space because ProPhoto has more colors.
Photo Editing Tutorials

Some still photo file types not only reduce the bit-depth, they also use other file size compression techniques that significantly reduce how much a digital photograph can be edited. JPEG is a lossy, 8-bit color depth file type that significantly reduces how much a digital photograph can be edited.
Thank you so much for your reply, I managed to upload the video in the end, it just took ages but then it wouldn't rotate! Never mind. I think I should start shooting photos in raw but am just worried about it taking up too much space on my computer.

If you have Photoshop CC 2017 it will do all of that and more. You could buy another program like Corel VideoStudio but if you already have PS why not use it. Another advantage of the $10/month PS/LR deal for me.

I usually run a video file through a video editor program. When you export the file you can adjust the output quality to meet a size requirement (within reason). For example, one site I use only allows up to 50mb files and mp4 format. So it can be a trade off of overall quality and the length of the video to meet the size.

For photos I always export the image in a reduced quality when posting to social media. This is always done after all editing is done.

Hi I made use of the video on my Nikon D33oo for the first the other day. I got a nice recording of my daughter singing that I wanted to share on Facebook but it doesn't seem able to as I'm guessing the file size is too large. Rather than cutting the video does anyone know a way of changing the file type into something that takes less space? Like when you resize photos. Also do people here resize their photos before/after editing? Is it the done thing or does it reduce the quality too much? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you Gayle
Hey there, one thing I do from time to time if I am lazy, or if I want to give customers the ability to download different sizes and resolutions: Upload the file to vimeo.com. Then, after it is online (and processed by their servers), you get the options for downloading it in various sizes and resolutions. Done ;). When I upload the file I usually choose a good quality (like your out of the camera file). Vimeo has one of the best quality to filesize ratios IMO.

Photo Editing Tutorials

Thank you so much for your reply, I managed to upload the video in the end, it just took ages but then it wouldn't rotate! Never mind. I think I should start shooting photos in raw but am just worried about it taking up too much space on my computer.
Don´t worry, external harddrives have become pretty cheap and since the introduction of USB 3.0 (if your computer supports that), the speed has become more than reasonable. Don´t forget to backup your harddrives though (no matter if internal or external).
Also: deleting all images except the literal keepers from a shooting helps keep the overall filesize low. In theory - I hardly ever do that :D.

Thank you Gayle
Handbrake and H.265 or as its otherwise known HEVC (high efficiency video Codec) is a free solution that will help. Should reduce the size by a whole bunch with little or no loss in quality. Just ran a 45 mb mp4 through and it converted to 17 mb. Depending on the amount of motion in the video size can be reduced by 1/6th in some cases.
If you need a more robust solution X265 encoder allows batch encoding, is faster, and allows you to adjust quality and and processing speed so you can choose faster encoding or smaller files.

As for photos, buy an external drive or device for storage. Prices are cheap and they are easy to install. Keep your originals on the external drive. Even better get two drives and keep one of them off site (away from where your computer is).

Most reactions

Back