Charge for testing??

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently building a relationship with a local modeling agency and I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't realize you charge for testing?

I want the agency to send me models that need headshots or stuff for their portfolios. What's a good rate for this? I assume I charge the models.

Is this called "testing"? Why is it called "testing"? I was under the impression that testing was a casual way of testing out new lenses or equipment with no money exchanged.

Hmmm.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

~K

No worries. I'll do my best to break it down.

So yes. Testing, in photographers' terms, is when you're shooting a prospective model for an agency. More specifically, you're "testing" the model's potential.

Anyway, you'll get very solid info here:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=39338

If you're not a member over there as well already, you should be if you're looking to go into this line of work.

I took a look at your portfolio. Not enough of your portrait work is they kind of stuff they'll want to see (though it's good work).

Buy another strobe, find some models, and lock yourself in a studio with a gray background.

You need to demonstrate solid proficiency with the gray background and a diverse set of lighting arrangements. Go back to basics for a while and play with the studio light. And make sure you have someone to do makeup and/or hair. It's much easier to do right the first time than to touch up in PS.

Thanks guys! It didn't occur to me that I should put some studio sessions in there to appeal to an agency. I'll get to working on that.

~Kristen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back