Chargin camera

Photonewbie1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to know if I can charge my canon eos rebel sl2 through the usb port.

Never hear of anyone doing that. As far as I know that is data only not charging.
You could damage the camera trying to charge via USB port
Why do you want to charge that way?

No, you can't.

no. Take the battery out, and put the battery on a battery charger, like a regular photography dude! LOL.

Again asking the question why RU thinking of using usb?
There are 12v as well as mains chargers.
If battery life is not long enough and you are off grid, think about additional batts and a 12v charger with a sun powered 12 supply
Edit.
Just did a google search there is a combined 12v and mains charger to be had for less than 20gbp

Never hear of anyone doing that. As far as I know that is data only not charging.
You could damage the camera trying to charge via USB port
Why do you want to charge that way?
I am goimg on a road grip from Alaska to Montana and need a place to cjargw my camera since we are not stoping at any hotels.

I have a third party charger that will charge my Nikon batteries via usb

The direct answer is no. I seems like a good idea and it works a few USB devices. However, my Canon T6 Rebel battery is 7.4 volts, the charger delivers 8.3 volts, unfortunately the USB port only delivers 5 volts. This plus the fact that the USB port are often rated for low amperage devices.

There are several good suggestions, a 12 volt charger designed for you specific battery is the easiest.

I did what was also suggested, I purchased a second battery and I have 12 volt inverter that delivers 120 volts out. My inverter is and older model and delivers a modified sine wave rather than the true sine wave versions found today. Still I have used it to power and recharge several of my electronic devises and charge batteries with no ill effects.

These devices get cheaper and better every year.

If you are on a road trip as opposed to a field trip then as suggested an inverter or a 12v charger that you can plug into the cigarette socket on the car/whatever
If you go with inverter try and use it whilst you are on the move so that you don’t drain the car batt and get stuck.
Me, I would buy a whole load of batteries Oh I already do have 14 and extra memory cards
I like to have a back up plan so I have extra batts and memory cards even a 2nd body that takes the same batts,cards,lens
As an aside that everyone never says
Rem to take several lens cloths and lens cleaner, blower and if it’s something you like/can do a sensor cleaning kit
I can’t do the sensor cleaning, I pay to have it done
Think what you want to do how to do it and what can go wrong then plan
Hope the trip goes well

Have you got a battery grip that takes two batts or several aa batts ok the aa batts will not last long but it may just give that one shot that you reall want

The big issue always comes down to the individual.

One person's field trip might be 3 weeks touring the State and National Parks with a couple of overnight camps to reach a few really nice back areas. My daughter and her husband do this. They will drive to a Park pack out and back in 2 or 3 days then onto the next Park.

This is a far cry from a month-long hiking trip deep into the jungles of Borneo.

As already mentioned, if you have access to your vehicle, your charging system is at hand; so you will only need enough the battery life until you return to it.

Good luck, it sound like a fun trip.

Most reactions

Back