Charging out of state clients question

christen2484

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a client who is from my town in Alabama but now lives in New Orleans. I have done her engagement portraits and will be doing her wedding both of which are in Alabama. She has asked me to do a bridal session for her in New Orleans. She has agreed to pay for lodging and gas expenses. Should I charge her more for my time or just charge her my regular bridal session fee since she is also paying travel expenses? Opinions please!!

Time is time; it doesn't matter where it is. Depending on the amount of travel time however, you may want to consider billing for that.

Whenever I had to travel by car, the client paid a per mile rate that covered gas, insurance, wear and tear - $.0.55 to $0.60 per mile. At about 900 miles round trip that's - $495 to $540
Standard Mileage Rates

Huntsville to New Orleans is about an 8 hr drive - 1 way. You will lose the equivalent of 2 days work to travel time. Two days work may not all be shooting time, but it's time that could be spent shooting and/or doing business tasks.

If my CODB expressed as a per day amount is, say $500, then I am going to charge the client $1500 for 2 travel days (includes mileage), require 2 nights lodging, plus add the difference between my normal shoot fee and the $500 daily CODB since it's very unlikely you will be able to schedule any other shoots in New Orleans that day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back