Cheap 400mm prime or teleconverter?

This is taken with a 75-210mm with severe chromatic aberration issues:

5937646081_296c55eecb_b.jpg

I can do a bit better than that with my 55mm-300mm but they are still too soft for my liking. I would post some examples but I am at work.

This 800mm mirror lens looks promising.
Amazon.com: Rokinon 800M-AI 800mm F8.0 Mirror Lens for Nikon (White): Camera & Photo
I have read several threads, including a few here, that deal with these. The ad claims they are good for both sports and nature photography but with a fixed f8 I find that claim dubious. It does look like it could do the job though.

I also found this t-mount telescope adapter:
Nikon SLR T-Mount Telescope Camera Adapter
I have an old telescope in storage though I suppose the IQ would depend on the telecsope.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Netskimmer, I've been taking some moon photos as well recently. From my experience, I think that atmospheric conditions (haze, smog, humidity, moon position) all have a significant impact on quality (more so than focal length? I don't know, 300mm is the most I've got). I feel like I've gotten decent results with my 70-300mm VR handheld. The following were at 300mm, f/8 @ 1/400 ISO 200. 1.Cropped and 2.original uncropped.

moon2.JPG

moon3.JPG

I feel like I've had the best results when it is a clear night and the moon is lower in the sky. I'd love to try a mirrorless or telescope mount though!

I'd love to see more shots or see what others think the best settings, environment and time are!

Hi Netskimmer, I've been taking some moon photos as well recently. From my experience, I think that atmospheric conditions (haze, smog, humidity, moon position) all have a significant impact on quality (more so than focal length? I don't know, 300mm is the most I've got). I feel like I've gotten decent results with my 70-300mm VR handheld. The following were at 300mm, f/8 @ 1/400 ISO 200. 1.Cropped and 2.original uncropped.

moon2.JPG

moon3.JPG

I feel like I've had the best results when it is a clear night and the moon is lower in the sky. I'd love to try a mirrorless or telescope mount though!

I'd love to see more shots or see what others think the best settings, environment and time are!

I think you're getting results similar to mine but I'll need to get home and compare the images side by side to be sure.

What type of lenses are those? I mean the technical name for them. I was trying to get info on those compared to the mirror lenses but without a way of specifying what lenses to compare them to it's hard to bring up much info.

For size reference here is non-cropped shot of the moon taken with a Canon 1DMKIII carrying a 400mm lens with a 1.4TC.

397701543.jpg

moon2.JPG

moon3.JPG

Here is one of mine, original size and cropped. I think they are pretty much the same (mine might be a touch overexposed). I believe your image does a better job of showing the moon's contours because it is more side-lit.

Moon7-15-11.jpg

Mooncrop7-15-11.jpg

I would assume the best time would be when the moon is at its highest since that is when the least amount of atmosphere is between it and you. I believe shots like yours are better due to them being side-lit which shows off more of the moon's texture but that's just me.

For size reference here is non-cropped shot of the moon taken with a Canon 1DMKIII carrying a 400mm lens with a 1.4TC.

Wow, thanks Tony! That gives me a decent point of reference for what I would be seeing with a 400mm. It would not be exactly the same because our cameras have different crop sensors but close.

Netskimmer - the biggest three things in getting a good moon shot are 1) Exposure 2) Focus and 3) Sharpness.

Sharpness will be your biggest challenge with the amount of cropping you will have to do, but it's absolutely possible to get a good shot with what you already have. I've taken some pretty nice moon shots at 300mm on my canon 40d which only has 10MP compared to your D7000's 16 odd, so you have more cropping ability than me. Make sure you use a tripod, mirror lockup, remote shutter release or self timer and have VR turned off and you will maximise the sharpness. Also take off UV filters, then moon seems to sometimes cause bad halo's with these for some reason.

Assuming you can get the exposure right, it seems the focusing could easily be improved upon - the best way by far is to use live view and zoom it in to 10x magnification and manual focus very delicately to get the focus spot on. It also helps to use a narrow aperture (f/8 - f/11 is usually good) because that is where most lenses are sharpest and you will compensate for any slight miss in focus.

Netskimmer - the biggest three things in getting a good moon shot are 1) Exposure 2) Focus and 3) Sharpness.

Sharpness will be your biggest challenge with the amount of cropping you will have to do, but it's absolutely possible to get a good shot with what you already have. I've taken some pretty nice moon shots at 300mm on my canon 40d which only has 10MP compared to your D7000's 16 odd, so you have more cropping ability than me. Make sure you use a tripod, mirror lockup, remote shutter release or self timer and have VR turned off and you will maximise the sharpness. Also take off UV filters, then moon seems to sometimes cause bad halo's with these for some reason.

Assuming you can get the exposure right, it seems the focusing could easily be improved upon - the best way by far is to use live view and zoom it in to 10x magnification and manual focus very delicately to get the focus spot on. It also helps to use a narrow aperture (f/8 - f/11 is usually good) because that is where most lenses are sharpest and you will compensate for any slight miss in focus.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have been using a tripod, mirror lockup and a shutter release and have not been using VR and have been using f8-f11. The only thing I have not done is use live view. I tried to use live view but the moon just looks like a bright light with no detail. I though maybe this was because the camera was displaying things with the "correct" exposure settings regardless of what I actually had set so I tried to spot meter the moon then go into live view but that did not work. Then I tried spot metering and using the exposure lock before going into live view and this did not work either. Finally I got the idea to use the exposure compensator which allowed me to actually see the moon in detail. Unfortunately getting a sharp focus is still eluding me but I think it's just because it takes such a fine touch to manipulate the focus on such a small object. With some practice and some trial and error I should be able to get it right.

This is with a Hanimex 400/6.3 (T2->M42->EOS), which you can find under many names (and known as "Girl Watcher" in its years) for few money. It is duplicated with a generic 2x TC (worth 10$). I focus through Liveview: it should be at infinity, but really it is focusing slightly over, so I have to come back a little. The moon diameter, cropped 100%, is about 1400px (that is, half field in length): here you are seeing a 800x800 resize. CA can be eliminated switching to b/w since there is not much meaningful color in the moon, and this also gives some more details (choosing green filter).
Best time to shoot is not full moon.
Don't be shy with Unsharp Mask :) .

Its a bit outside your budget at $8000 :thumbup:, but there's always the sigmonster... 300-800mm, thats 1200mm equivalent on a crop-sensor. Its the biggest non-mirror lens I've never seen.

300-800mm F5.6 EX DG APO HSM - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Bah! I was thinking more along these lines:
Amazon.com: Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I know it's for a Canon but for that price it should reconfigure itself to fit my Nikon automatically.

:lmao: Hahaha! Did anyone look at the customer photos on the Amazon site... cracking me up!

They have some nice moon detail on the last one. And I think my favorite is "Sarah Palin's foto of Russia from back yard with Sigma lens" :lol:

Some of the reviews are hilarious too:

I recently purchased this beast because I wanted to trade up from my kit lens (18-55mm that came with the Canon T2i). I am a beginning photographer so I have no tripod. Here are two problems:

1. The lens is heavy. After a day of shooting in the city or in the park my arms get tiered. Also my feet get tiered because I have to carry an extra 97 lbs. It takes a toll on the whole body.

2. People stare at me. I am 5 foot 3 and weigh 112 lbs. Often when I look through the viewfinder my hands have trouble holding the lens steady. I try to cradle it as best I can, but sometimes I lose my balance. People often ask me if I need help. They also ask me if it the lens is a toy. I answer "yes" to both questions.

Conclusion: This lens is a good upgrade from the kit lenses canon offers. I would suggest using it with a tripod, or at the vary least sitting on the ground and angling it through your thighs towards your target.

I was a bit hesitant at first to buy this lens because of the weight, but i really needed f2.8 at 500. I take lots of outdoor pictures of my extended family who happens to live 30 minutes away. With this particular Sigma lens i can easily get on my roof and snap away at them. It's a great lens for candid shots because they never know i'm taking their picture. I bought this lens to compliment my canon 50 1.8 lens and the Canon 18-55 kit lens, which is much easier to carry. All in all if you have a strong back and a good DSLR (canon 20D) i would recommend this without a doubt. But, if you don't like eating TV dinners alone in your parents basement i would look at the 55-200 Canon, it even has Image Stabilization.

Most reactions

Back