Cheap Film

in this same process,

If I wanted to shoot film or I had a really nice film camera but couldnt afford to go digital right now, I would look for a cheap (ebay) 35mm dedicated scanner. Usually under a hundred bucks, then get the film processed no prints. Scan it and play to my hearts content. You can save the eighty or so bucks back in short order. Then if you shoot something just too hard not to put on the wall, have a nice sized print made of the one shot.

Mark said something on a different tread that is true. Most of the large corrections you make in photoshop could have been done in the camera. So see what you need to do in photoshop to correct the image, then ask or figure out how to avoid the necessity by not making the mistake again. It is called a learning experience.

Just a thought

mysteryscribe said:
Mark said something on a different tread that is true. Most of the large corrections you make in photoshop could have been done in the camera. So see what you need to do in photoshop to correct the image, then ask or figure out how to avoid the necessity by not making the mistake again. It is called a learning experience.

Yeah, exactly. I know someone who was very adamant about not cropping his images. He wanted to be "pure" and get the composition exactly right in-camera. While I think this is great as an end goal, I think he did himself a disservice by ignoring a great learning tool. Whether you use an image editor or just a pair of cardboard "L"s on top of a physical print, playing with crops can help develop your eye. Personally, I like to try and find as many workable compositions in an image as I can. Then I can compare them and see which I think work better and why. I also try to imagine how moving to a different vantage point might have changed the image (like to avoid those dang branches sticking into the scene that I somehow failed to notice). Now the next time I go out to shoot, I'll be familiar with more choices. Someone who doesn't do this needs to shoot even more to get the same experience.

I do try to get as good as I can in-camera, but I don't let it stop there.

Buy it up. Should be just fine for snap shot type photos. If you look regular Kodak Gold is going to less than $2 a 36 shot roll now. Imported 24 shot rolls for $1.50!

I agree, go for it. I prefer Fuji but the Konica is 'good enough', certainly worth the money. I bought some from Silverprint myself since I don't think it's possible to have too much film in the freezer.

mysteryscribe said:
You had L's we were so poor all we had was four pieces of white paper.

Would that be a Monty Python reference? I'm such an obvious student :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back