Cheap lighting

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So far ive been using several different table lamps to light my photos. However of the lamps get on my nerves as they tend to give a lot of my photos yellow casts. I was wondering what the best type of lights are to use on a budget of no more than £50-£60, like what type of bulbs etc.. Also what are the best accessories to buy?

I use regular work lights from the local hardware store on occasion. If you are using digital, you will need to set a custom white balance prior to taking shots.

For the amount of light, I have found my 1000W Halogen shop lights from Sears work best, but they cant be a bit warm tinted.
So yes, I have to set the white balance.

I found that 5000 to 6000K spiral bulbs work really well, but I only have one 35W one so far, and its not near enough light.

~John

Yeah I did a portrait project for class; I had a ghetto studio set up using two 100W lamps. It worked fine but my shutter speeds were really really slow because of the low light. Your best bet is using those orange work lights.

I ended up buying 2 50 W halogen lights rated at 520 lumens each. Works fine for a lightbox, but it really depends upon what you need it for. With the light box, I have no issues setting the camera at f/8 and taking a 2-second exposure.

I ended up buying 2 50 W halogen lights rated at 520 lumens each. Works fine for a lightbox, but it really depends upon what you need it for. With the light box, I have no issues setting the camera at f/8 and taking a 2-second exposure.

See, but that was my problem, I wasn't doing product photography. While I could make a good exposure, I had to use slower shutter speeds than I wanted to, around 1/10. That's fine for some object, but when it comes to people it blurs sometimes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back