Cheap macro extention tubes

Pythonjase

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have bought some cheap tubes from amazon but I'm have some problems using them How do I lighten up the view finder and pictures, it has something to do with aperture settings, I just get a black screen

Last edited by a moderator:
With cheap tubes, you have no way of controlling the aperture... unless you have an older lens that has a Aperture Ring on it, and you can set the aperture there. So basically you are trying to shoot at the smallest aperture your lens has (assuming you have a Nikon.. which is what it sounds like). You might be able to get away with that if you use flash to illuminate your subject, but you also have no way to focus.. since it is so dark. So basically.... I would return the cheap tubes, and buy some Kenkos! Or at least the knockoffs with electrical contacts / mechanical linkage...

there are some ways to use the cheap tubes.. but they are all a PITA.. so don't bother, get some real tubes!

Last edited:
Cheers for the prompt replays. CGIPSON1 you say unless I have a older lens with aperture ring on it , which lens would do this for my d3100 what fitting will work

Cheers for the prompt replays. CGIPSON1 you say unless I have a older lens with aperture ring on it , which lens would do this for my d3100 what fitting will work

It's not the lens that is the issue... it's the tube's lack of the electrical contacts/mechanical aperture link between your camera and lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back