Cheap Starter SLR

vivalajosho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i like taking pictures on my point and shoot cameras but i like the idea of experimenting with lenses and different aspects that a SLR can provide...

...i was wondering if theres a cheap beginner SLR out there that would be good for me..

what i would like is one that
i can put a fisheye lens on
that doesnt use film
nothing to serious or expensive

Nikon D40, D60, D3000, D5000... I'm a Nikon fan, I'm sure someone will chime in with Canon options.

well what's your budget? "nothing expensive" is awfully vague.

ummm..i want to say around 200 but i know you probably cant get anything for that

If you look around you can find something decent, maybe body only, for around $200.

I just upgraded from a Lumix to a Canon 20d that I purchased (used) for $200 with the standard, non-IS, 18-55 lens. I'm not an expert but there are some decent used ones out there. The 20d's predecessor was the Canon 10d and that might be found around the same price used as well. I'm very happy so far with the 20d and still working my way through the manual and testing it out in photos.

What about an "in between" camera? When I wanted more options other than what my P&S was giving me I found an almost barely used Panasonic Lumix FZ20. Not quite a DSLR and not quite a P&S. Slightly lighter and smaller than a full SLR but with tons of manual options and settings. Has a built in flash that is good for about 21' but also has the shoe on top for an external flash; 12x zoom; 5 MP; Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8/6-72. I still use the Lumix a lot and it does everything I need it to. Low light isn't that bad either. It's limited a little with aperature 2.8-8 and shutter range 2000-8".

Keep checking around and see what is out there...hope this helps a little.

ummm..i want to say around 200 but i know you probably cant get anything for that

You can if you like film.

You won't find anything digital that cheap though...

Pentax ist or earlier with a manual focus kmount just might fit in that budget

Honestly... look into a canon g series used might be a better option

If you look around you could probably find a used DSLR out there along with a lens or 2 for around $300. You obviously have to be very careful buying used equipment but if you look around you can find some great deals, probably from people on the board!

I started a FREE auction site dedicated to photo equipment that is exactly for buying and selling equipment from photographer to photographer without paying eBay 8% or getting screwed by a local or online store. I won't mention the site on here as I don't want to get banned but if you PM me I will let you know and you can post something on the want ad section in hopes someone will have what you want.

Start out with film and get a really good learning experience first.

The learning curve with a digital is way, way smaller. Being able to see the results of a change in aperture or shutter speed directly after the shot is taken is priceless.

I'd look at some of the offerings from some of the brands other than Nikon or Canon. Those two tend to hold their value slightly more. The cheapest I've seen a d40 go for is about $250 for the body only. If you don't need the very latest and greatest, you can get an older Pentax or Olympus for next to nothing. Also, the Canon D30 and D60 will be very cheap, but are absolute dinosaurs.

But hey, if your just trying to learn, it doesn't really matter. You'll end up figuring out a way to upgrade sooner or later anyways. It's the nature of the beast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back