Chevrolet Sonic on The Island

90foxbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Cruised around for awhile the other day and snapped some pics.

C&C welcomed! Hoping I can get some advice on what I can do to improve upon these the next time I shoot. I'm just a hobbyist, haven't been shooting for very long

My own critique would be that I believe I need to work on/read up on composition a bit. Photo number 1 I feel like the colors may be off. Photos 2 & 3 I feel like I lost some detail at the front of the car due to it being too dark.

Any advice is welcomed.

Chevy Sonic 3 by 90FoxBox, on Flickr

Chevy Sonic 2 by 90FoxBox, on Flickr

Chevy Sonic 1 by 90FoxBox, on Flickr

Of the two sets the second set for me is definatly better then the first step. first ones for me are just bland, boring, the car doesnt pop, the background looks nicer then the car and that's not saying much, second set your lighting is better, the layout of the car and background is a bit better. but there still not great. try getting a little lower down on the cars level. work with your deapth of field to put the focus on the car, pay attention to the sun and the lighting and get creative.

Of the two sets the second set for me is definatly better then the first step. first ones for me are just bland, boring, the car doesnt pop, the background looks nicer then the car and that's not saying much, second set your lighting is better, the layout of the car and background is a bit better. but there still not great. try getting a little lower down on the cars level. work with your deapth of field to put the focus on the car, pay attention to the sun and the lighting and get creative.

Thanks for commenting.

I can definitely see getting more level with the car, good point. The first set I also didn't really like personally, it's difficult to shoot the black car. I would've like more time with the second set but it starte to rain :/.

Anyway, thanks for the advice I'll try to apply it next time out.

I agree that the second set is stronger, and of the second set, the last photo is the strongest. For the most part, they're just pictures of cars. That can get "meh" very easily. They look like stock photos. If you want to get more interesting and 'artsy,' you've got to vary angles, or depth of field. Don't worry about getting the entire car in the frame - find an interesting detail to focus on or perspective. Also pay attention to the background. The chain and sign in the first shot of the second set is distracting. The chain in the second shot is also visible but at least the sign is gone.

If I may, here are two car shots that I've attached, not as stellar examples of what it 'should' look like, but just to give you an idea of how much the picture can change by varying the angle, or how focusing on just a detail rather than the whole car can still give you a sense of the whole.

$day-27-jag-back.jpg

$day-27-jag-front1.jpg

I agree that the second set is stronger, and of the second set, the last photo is the strongest. For the most part, they're just pictures of cars. That can get "meh" very easily. They look like stock photos. If you want to get more interesting and 'artsy,' you've got to vary angles, or depth of field. Don't worry about getting the entire car in the frame - find an interesting detail to focus on or perspective. Also pay attention to the background. The chain and sign in the first shot of the second set is distracting. The chain in the second shot is also visible but at least the sign is gone.

If I may, here are two car shots that I've attached, not as stellar examples of what it 'should' look like, but just to give you an idea of how much the picture can change by varying the angle, or how focusing on just a detail rather than the whole car can still give you a sense of the whole.

View attachment 51317

View attachment 51318

Thanks for sharing.

Definitely agree that the chain is distracting. Photo 5 was my first time really trying to clone something out of the picture (the sign). I felt I did an alright job removing that and decided to stop there before I botched it up removing the chain.

Hopefully I can get back out for more shots and I'll try and apply some of what you guys are suggesting.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back