Child-Friendly Software

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My 9-year old is quite into photography. She has her one camera and now is paying attention to my processing of photos. I think my Lightroom and Elements are a little heavy to turn her loose with.

Any suggestions for kid-friendly editing software that they can mess with and pick up pretty quickly?

Lightroom ought to be within her grasp.

My 7 and 9 year olds are into it also. My oldest uses an old Pentax 35mm film camera, she has learned to "get it right" in camera. My 7 year old son uses a 7.2mp digital camera. He has learned to shoot/delete, shoot/delete, until he "gets it right" in camera. Neither one has showed interest in editing yet. If and when they do, I will probably let them use the Windows program until they are ready for more features. Although Lightroom is pretty straight forward. If they don't need a specific slider then they don't have to use it.

Just some random thoughts.............

What version of Photoshop Elements, do you have? The most recent versions, have a guided mode. That might help.
Rudi

My 9-year old is quite into photography. She has her one camera and now is paying attention to my processing of photos. I think my Lightroom and Elements are a little heavy to turn her loose with.

Any suggestions for kid-friendly editing software that they can mess with and pick up pretty quickly?
Can your 9 year whip your @$$ on the playstation, Xbox or Nintendo? If so you might give your 9 year old a try at both. Just remember after a week there will be no shame in letting the 9 year old give you instruction in the use of either Lightroom or Elements.

Last edited:
I think Elements, certainly not Lightroom. Some people, including me, just can not make Lightroom work. I can use Photoshop and it makes perfect sense while Lightroom is not even slightly intuitive.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I didn't realize Google gave experienced-based evaluative recommendations. I thought they were all about random suggestions based on some SEO expert working the system or just dumb luck. :chargrined:

I hadn't even thought about the Quick and Guided fronts of Elements. I just roll over to expert by default (not saying I am one, just allows me to screw the most up). Maybe I'll let her take a run at that.

We do talk about composition and whatnot when shooting. It's not really about fixing images as much as just one more way to be creative with what she does.

Most reactions

Back