Children and people photography, how to improve on candid shots

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello

So far my main subject in photography has been macro, flowers, gardens and some landscape, It is rather easy for me because I have the time to set up my shots. But recently, I have started to work with kids and want to report on their daily life and activities with pictures, I do not want the studio kind of shots. I prefer candid type of shots where the image show emotions and reflects real life. Inside I often find that I do not have enough light to capture a fast moving child. I realize that I do not know much about flash photography, I have been reading about off camera flash and reflectors, but I do not see how I can do that in candid shots of real life.

Sometimes my pictures are blurry, either because I moved taking the shot, or my shutter speed was not fast enough and I hesitate between increasing the ISO, reducing the shutter speed or increasing the depth of field.
There may well be other thing I do that I am not even aware of. I have a fairly good idea of what a good composition is, know the rule of third, but how do you apply that to candid shots? I have never used my SB-600 speedlight off camera.
Here are some of the shots I took, your comments and hints on how to improve are welcomed.

$201211181113.jpg

$121221_6057-copy.jpg

$130120_7967 copy.jpg

$130118_8094 copy.jpg

$130120_7998 copy.jpg

$130118_8081 copy.jpg

I'm camping out here to learn with you.
:sillysmi:

Honestly, ah in example, yesterday at my snow mini-shoot when i was done getting a posed shot i backed off a big to get a wider view and if i see a candid, i just shoot loose and crop in PP. IMO better then missing the shot. As for camera settings, for portraits i always keep my shutter speed above 160 mostly i shoot for 200-250 is my area for not having to shoot so shallow or ramp the ISO too high and still get crisp images.

In your pictures #5 is and 9/10 in my book. Just like i said above, if you would have shot a little wider and or in PP not cut off his fingers I'd have given you all 10.

Honestly, ah in example, yesterday at my snow mini-shoot when i was done getting a posed shot i backed off a big to get a wider view and if i see a candid, i just shoot loose and crop in PP. IMO better then missing the shot. As for camera settings, for portraits i always keep my shutter speed above 160 mostly i shoot for 200-250 is my area for not having to shoot so shallow or ramp the ISO too high and still get crisp images.

In your pictures #5 is and 9/10 in my book. Just like i said above, if you would have shot a little wider and or in PP not cut off his fingers I'd have given you all 10.

Thanks for the 9/10, I did realize afterword that I cropped the scene. Thanks for pointing it out.
Shoot loose is a good idea. and try to have wider view is good.

Do you adjust your WB every time you change location, I sometimes forget and change it in camera raw, but it does not always give a good result. See my image # 6, that was the case, even # 5, the face is greenish.

I've tried candids for years, so I know what you are going through. If the subjects are familiar enough with you that they will simply ignore your machinations, just ask them to relax while you set up some photographic equipment, including remote flash, camera on tripod, reflector, light meter reading, adjusting the window draperies, moving distracting elements out of the frame, or any other fiddling that you want to do. Meanwhile, your subjects will hopefully remain in the area long enough for you to get the shot.

Easier said than done.

Good luck!

I've tried candids for years, so I know what you are going through. If the subjects are familiar enough with you that they will simply ignore your machinations, just ask them to relax while you set up some photographic equipment, including remote flash, camera on tripod, reflector, light meter reading, adjusting the window draperies, moving distracting elements out of the frame, or any other fiddling that you want to do. Meanwhile, your subjects will hopefully remain in the area long enough for you to get the shot.

Easier said than done.

Good luck!

Yeah right!
They are very familiar with me since I spend days and days with them... It gives me the idea that I should set up a corner where they often play with proper lighting and start with that. Moving the distracting elements seem to be quite easy to achieve too.
Thanks for the hints and for sharing with me!

Do you adjust your WB every time you change location, I sometimes forget and change it in camera raw, but it does not always give a good result. See my image # 6, that was the case, even # 5, the face is greenish.
I still do minor adjustments but its not like what you are experiencing. And yes anytime there is a major change in light (going from outside to inside or changing to use flash as my main light) I rebalance.

Easier said than done.

Good luck!

How is it a candid when you have done all that, set camera up for hyper focus then there is no need to focus just choose you moment and press the shutter

i love #5 as others have stated its cropped to tight. I have this problem of cropping to tight too, i dont know why, but im learning to stop it! :p

I would have taken this set as a set for a thread titled "first try at child portraiture...how can I improve"

I don't see candids here at all, for many reasons already stated.

I shot kids candid once, at my daughters birthday party, I dont think I ever zoomed out of 18-20mm range..I kept them all wide...for the most part, it allows for more of the "story" to be told. When I wanted a nice shot of a kid or posed one..then I zoomed in to 50, otherwise I kept it wide.

also, try some no flash.

I'm not sayin you have to shoot at 18mm, I'm just using my experience and at that time all I had was my 18-55 kit lens. lol

I would have taken this set as a set for a thread titled "first try at child portraiture...how can I improve"

I don't see candids here at all, for many reasons already stated.

I shot kids candid once, at my daughters birthday party, I dont think I ever zoomed out of 18-20mm range..I kept them all wide...for the most part, it allows for more of the "story" to be told. When I wanted a nice shot of a kid or posed one..then I zoomed in to 50, otherwise I kept it wide.

also, try some no flash.

I'm not sayin you have to shoot at 18mm, I'm just using my experience and at that time all I had was my 18-55 kit lens. lol

I understand what you mean, and I do have some pictures that would best fit the candid description as you describe such as these

130107_7384 Clearing Up the pond by MiFleur, Back to normal, on Flickr

Playing in the water after the rain by MiFleur, Back to normal, on Flickr

But I was under the impression that candid also means anything without pose. which they are. Finally what is the description of candid? may be my perception is wrong!

I am still learning it, so I'm sure others will chime in. For me, and this could just be me, I prefer faces in candids...faces can really tell a story. I like the first one, maybe can use a better crop, the second is really a snapshot, and there is not much difference really in a candid than a snapshot, except you can still use lighting and dof to help tell the story, as well as good framing/cropping.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back