What's new

Chili Anyone?

ColorfulMonochrome

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
62
Reaction score
16
Location
Las Vegas (originally); England (currently)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Used a new chili recipe tonight, and decided to take a photo of it. I usually have a lot of fun taking photos of the food I prepare, but I really need a lightbox. This was done on a posterboard with natural lighting from the right, and a reflector was used on the left. Any comments or critique is welcome. =-] Two versions, one with full veggie view, and the other is a tighter crop. I actually prefer the tighter crop, myself.

#1
#2
 
Last edited:
Looks delicious! :)
However it feels like it's sightly tilted to the right and I think I'd prefer seeing the whole veggies.
 
I would like to see the far edge of the bowl in focus, peppers out of the DOF focus do no bother me.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 
Of the two, I think the second is the best, but I don't really like either of them. The blurred peppers are really distracting to me, probably because of the plain background. They're just hanging there, as an obvious compositional device. I'd also suggest that the foreground peppers not hug the bowl so closely.
 
Not working for me either. I agree with Murray.
 
yeah background peppers closer to bowl, whole thing in focus front to back would work better.

That said, just crop it to the front peppers and it will work fine.
 
Thanks for the advice guys! I usually just shoot food for fun, but I've been trying to improve for ages and haven't had anyone with photography experience to give me any good critiques.

Looking at the images now, I can see how the peppers ARE very distracting. So, for food, it's better to have everything in focus vs what I did here? Or is this mostly because I show with a white background? In the sense of food, is less more? Should I have not even included the background peppers?

Also, what would make a better background for food? Is a lightbox not ideal?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to know how I can improve further.
 
So, for food, it's better to have everything in focus vs what I did here? Or is this mostly because I show with a white background? In the sense of food, is less more? Should I have not even included the background peppers?

Also, what would make a better background for food? Is a lightbox not ideal?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to know how I can improve further.

For food a shallow DOF is actually preferred , what you did here is that you missed what should be in focus and what not. TechChuck suggested you that the far edge of the bow should be in focus. Can you see why?
Also Murray Bloom told you something you should keep in mind for your food photography.
Yes, less is more but you need to carefully think about what should be in the frame, how it is related with the main subject, a bowl in this case. You should make a scene appealing for the viewer but at the same time achieve a look that is not staged.
Peppers should not be there.
Lightbox is not ideal, nothing is ideal :) You should consider a table, a tablecloth or something like that.
Also, use utensils.
Hope I helped, you could ask more specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them, and that is if I know answers :)
 
Yes, I can see why the far edge should be in focus. I think my biggest issue was wanting to compose it right, but I was trying to be strict to the 'rule of thirds.' Is that important to really focus on with food? Or is food one of those things that would be best centered?

You definitely helped with your suggestions. The next time I attempt a food photo, I'll try to apply all these tips, and see if I can improve. =-]
 
I think my biggest issue was wanting to compose it right, but I was trying to be strict to the 'rule of thirds.' Is that important to really focus on with food? Or is food one of those things that would be best centered?
You can't pass the rule of thirds but you can break it if you do it with a good reason :) Actually it is a good guide for you, but then, sometimes some bowl will look great centered. Why not? but how ever you do it it has to work and have a balance.
Try this exercise, set up the dish the way you would eat it and sit as you normally would. then make a frame of your hands and analyze the scene. What shouldn't be in the scene? what is distracting? What colors are there? where is the pork or the spun, the nife? where should the light be? etc
Food photography looks simple and easy but it takes some serious thinking and set ups to look that simple and easy :D
 
That is actually some really great advice! I'll definitely be doing that!

It really DOES look simple, but when you try your hand at it without really knowing what you're looking for, it turns out to be a little more difficult than you thought. It's definitely fun though.

Thank you for all the tips and critiques. I had high hopes that this would be a great forum for just that, and everyone (minus the hotdog guy) really proved that right, especially you, bmmision. Thanks guys! =-]
 
I'm starving

This.

I think the peppers could work with a table atmosphere. The white background is the problem. Set up a table, have the peppers, some napkins, a spoon, and make that chilli steam!!

Ok. Time for lunch.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom