Choice Of Lens

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a wedding coming up on the 16th of next month and I am starting to get a bit nervous. I had planned on using the 18-55 kit lens that came with my Nikon D50 but after a day of taking photos of my son with my Sigma 17-300 I am starting to have a change of heart. The photos are starting to come out clear with great color. What do you all think? The first wedding I did was with a Panasonic P&S so there was little in the way of choices to make. This time around I have to put some thought into it. I am making at least 300 this time.

Now personally I would use neither lens at a wedding but I do on occasion out of necessity use my kit 18-70 at a wedding. I really do not like the range of your other lens for anything let alone a wedding but if it is all you have and you feel confident with it go for it.

I would say to have a lens for every range. I've shot 2 weddings now, and I use a 24-70 (would like a little wider, but I like it), a 50mm prime, and a 70-200. Shooting a wedding means that you want fast fast fast glass, at least 2.8 in case you can't use flash, which is standard that you can not. If you are charging, no matter how little, then you are renting yourself out as a professional and they are going to expect such. This means that you are really negligent if you don't also have a backup body in the event something happens to your primary camera. That's a lot of work for $300. I just finished my second one, and thought they were getting a steal at $600. As soon as I finished editing, I raised my price to $800 and my next one will be $1000. I learned a lot from shooting a budget wedding. They expect everything for nothing and will expect $3000 pictures for that $300.

More than you wanted to know, I realize, just thought I'd give my .02. (And NO, don't give them the memory card afterward .... from previous thread).

Most reactions

Back