Choosing a DSLR for Food Photography

OfBaking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-

I've been working with a Nikon Coolpix L120 for the last few months and I think it's time for a DSLR. I want to buy a camera that I can learn with and that will still be relevant when I've begun to master the camera. I'm a quick learner and don't think it's necessary to start with a beginner's camera; I'd like a camera I can be satisfied with for a while.

I have a blog (ofbaking.com) and would like to take my photography to the next level with a DSLR. I'd like to spend no more than $1,000 on the camera (I understand that I'll need to buy a separate lens). Suggestions? I could really use the help.

My suggestion would be to look to something like a Nikon D3100 or D5000, or a Canon Rebel in the ~$500 range and put the remainder of your money into the most important items you will need: Lens(es), lighting and a GOOD tripod.

I'm a food lover, and love taking photos of food. That said, any of the current crop of mid-level DSLRs should be perfectly capable, assuming you have good lighting. You may not even need to buy a separate lens, depending on conditions. Ideally I think you'd want something capable of shallow depth of field, with at least an f/2.8 maximum aperture. If this is your first DSLR, try everything, and buy what feels natural in your hands.

I've never had my shots published, but here are some of the ones I've taken with my Canon T2i. These are all under natural lighting, aside from the first, which is just an overhead incandescent.

6232781041_33212fa895_z.jpg

6232780895_9586fbc499_z.jpg

6232780679_98d45e8a77_z.jpg

6233299616_d5e1911315_z.jpg

I took these with a basic Nikon D40 and (I think) my 50mm f/1.4 lens (super shallow DOF- hence focusing on one tiny object with everything else out of focus). I can't afford much fancier equipment, so I used some $12 close up filters. Took some playing but I love them. No fancy setup here- just food on a saucer placed on living room floor near (but not in) sunlight.

28fd0d7c.jpg

6c0a4297.jpg

6794a806.jpg

I glanced at the blog and looks like she picked out a Canon and a 50mm to start.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-
Wish some of the folks would come back and say what they selected and why etc.

Most reactions

Back