Choosing a monitor on an extreme budget?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm totally broke and trying to set up a literally dirt cheap desktop computer with the ability to edit photos in lightroom. But am just wondering, especially at this super low end, what should I look for in a monitor? And what should I avoid? Obviously I want my photos to look relatively the same on my screen as they do on other peoples and on print. But how would I make sure of that?

For example I am looking at things like this:
DAEWOO W9ZQ 19 Widescreen LCD Monitor eBay

I know this is a very low standard, but it's all my pockets can afford for now :/

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know this is a very low standard, but it's all my pockets can afford for now :/
You answered your own question.

It is a TN (Twisted Nemantic) type of display, the least desirable display type for image editing because TN displays have narrow color accurate viewing angles.

Displays that use an IPS (In-Plane Switching) display are desired for editing because of broad color accurate viewing angles.

To see image colors accurately you will have to move your head up/down and side-to-side.
In other words you can't see an entire image color accurately from any single head position unless your head is 10's of feet from the display.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't afford an IPS right now... Is there anything I must know about buying a TN though? Like constrast, brightness, colour settings? I haven't had a desktop in years so really don't know anything about what monitors can and can't do these days :(

Last edited:
How urgently do you need this system? If it's not urgent then I would save up a few months and get a low end IPS monitor. You can get one for about $100. If it is urgent then you need to go with what you can afford.

I sometimes see the contrast ratio from 300:1 to 1000:1. Wouldn't that make a huge difference?

Most reactions

Back