Chopper feature

Roger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mrlowlight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First time sharing my work photography on TPF, I do freelance photojournalism for bike mags and this is the latest job. I decided to process for high contrast and toned to go back to the 70's which is the era of this style of bike. However the magazines will probably want straight images, so just seeing what people here think.
327294323_WgGfy-L.jpg

327294717_ceU7B-L.jpg

327294644_Tyiqs-L.jpg

327294875_2haHk-L.jpg

327294799_YYDju-L.jpg

Would maybe a bit more fill light add a bit more detail to the engine and bike parts? I'm thinking it would ruin the "feel" of the pictures though.

Well done though. I'd like to see a bit more reflection no the black like in picture 1, but being matte I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy.

Other than that, the dodging under the bike seems odd in a few pictures. I think you dodged the whole bike and it carried over to the pavement. I'd like to see a dark shaddow as well to add to it's presence in a negative environment. 1 and 2 are good examples, 3 is where it might have been a bit "sloppy"?

I'm more interested in offroad and supersports, but I can acknowledge the design and hard work that's gone into choppers.

nice series. beautiful bike. what I think: I agree with shibby! on the fill light on the motor. what I would have done is set up a semi-circle of strobes (say 5-7), and snoot a couple to highlight the motor, tank/headlight, and the brakes. blow those mothers out, and kill like 65% of the daylight/ambient so the bike really pops out of the scene.

how do you get the effect of the "aura" around the bike on the first pic?

Is it the post processing?

bike = seks.. :|

Such a sexy bike :drool: Nice pics.

thanks and yes it is a sexy bike, classic 60's-70's raked chopper cool.

Would maybe a bit more fill light add a bit more detail to the engine and bike parts? I'm thinking it would ruin the "feel" of the pictures though.

Well done though. I'd like to see a bit more reflection no the black like in picture 1, but being matte I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy.

Other than that, the dodging under the bike seems odd in a few pictures. I think you dodged the whole bike and it carried over to the pavement. I'd like to see a dark shaddow as well to add to it's presence in a negative environment. 1 and 2 are good examples, 3 is where it might have been a bit "sloppy"?

I'm more interested in offroad and supersports, but I can acknowledge the design and hard work that's gone into choppers.

thanks for your considered comment..yes more even light would be the opposite effect I was going for. The original shots have all the detail as the afternoon light was perfect. That being said there is plenty of detail in the engine on my monitor, just not 100% in the darkest area, the barrels. Also yes the matt paint.....no dodging done, the eneveness is caused by the strong contrast adjustment against the road surface, some areas were darker than others. These things are easier to control in a studio enviroment where you have an even surface.

nice series. beautiful bike. what I think: I agree with shibby! on the fill light on the motor. what I would have done is set up a semi-circle of strobes (say 5-7), and snoot a couple to highlight the motor, tank/headlight, and the brakes. blow those mothers out, and kill like 65% of the daylight/ambient so the bike really pops out of the scene.

I don't have lighting as you describe, nor do I want it, as I said above the original pics are perfectly lit and will be provided to the mag for the feature. This is my interpretation of the scene and for me more in keeping with the 'feel' of chopperdom. I've been shooting bikes for mags for many years, done lighting and all that, these days I prefer a simpler approach and trying to find a more artistic approach to the subject. I am interested in more of a feeling than just a well lit and detailed image...:)

how do you get the effect of the "aura" around the bike on the first pic?

Is it the post processing?

bike = seks.. :|

the high contrast adjustment creates this effect, most often this is undesireable but I think it works here as there are no sharp edges :)

I'm not a really big fan of the aura... I know that the contrast does it but no matter what it ALWAYS screams "photoshop alert! photoshop alert!" to me. And since it's pure white, it takes detail out of everything it covers and is really distracting.

cool pictures,I like the lighting effect:thumbup:. The only thing I would change if its possible is in the last pictures where there is a little gap between the edge of the tire and the picture. It causes a little visual tension, but its not that bad.

thanks and yes it is a sexy bike, classic 60's-70's raked chopper cool.

thanks for your considered comment..yes more even light would be the opposite effect I was going for. The original shots have all the detail as the afternoon light was perfect. That being said there is plenty of detail in the engine on my monitor, just not 100% in the darkest area, the barrels. Also yes the matt paint.....no dodging done, the eneveness is caused by the strong contrast adjustment against the road surface, some areas were darker than others. These things are easier to control in a studio enviroment where you have an even surface.

I don't have lighting as you describe, nor do I want it, as I said above the original pics are perfectly lit and will be provided to the mag for the feature. This is my interpretation of the scene and for me more in keeping with the 'feel' of chopperdom. I've been shooting bikes for mags for many years, done lighting and all that, these days I prefer a simpler approach and trying to find a more artistic approach to the subject. I am interested in more of a feeling than just a well lit and detailed image...:)

uh, not to start conflict or anything.. but why ask our opinions if you're going to look past them? if you know all there is to know about this particular subject, of what value is our suggestion?

I'm not a really big fan of the aura... I know that the contrast does it but no matter what it ALWAYS screams "photoshop alert! photoshop alert!" to me. And since it's pure white, it takes detail out of everything it covers and is really distracting.

yes good point and as a result of your comment I went back and had a look at the originals again.....I think maybe a little less contrast would be better.

cool pictures,I like the lighting effect:thumbup:. The only thing I would change if its possible is in the last pictures where there is a little gap between the edge of the tire and the picture. It causes a little visual tension, but its not that bad.

yes I didn't leave enough room on the right, silly mistake really and thanks glad you like the effect.

uh, not to start conflict or anything.. but why ask our opinions if you're going to look past them? if you know all there is to know about this particular subject, of what value is our suggestion?

see my above response to reg.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back