Christmas Joy 2020

Love the expression in #1...come on grandpa! Super cute plaid theme. I was trying to pick a favorite and think I like the the last one best. She has twinkle in her eyes :)

Love the expression in #1...come on grandpa! Super cute plaid theme. I was trying to pick a favorite and think I like the the last one best. She has twinkle in her eyes :)

The first was a paradox between "JOY" (sign & tree), and the way 2020 has gone. She wasn't bored, that was "her" pose, kid cracks me up with her ability to strike a pose. These were all one light (72" umbrella with diffusion sock), and strategically placed big white reflectors. I was shooting for a modified high key with vivid midtones, and all editing to be done in LR. Most everything worked well I think "except" the LR editing, I was having major issues after a dozen images, that required rebooting LR to continue. A real PITA when you have 40+ images to work. She's such a little pro I got over 60 images with 40+ that went to editing. Another from the set with her megawatt smile, that lights me up, and makes me give her anything she wants.

Christmas 2020 (1 of 1).jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Great set. Too hard to pick a favorite.

Very nice set! #4 is definitely my favorite, although they work well together. I feel like the face mask shot is a must for this year. The soft wrap-around light from that giant umbrella look amazing here, and your subject is adorable as always.

@adamhiram I need to practice with the light and reflectors more, but having something that big really makes for an easy setup. It literally floods everything in it's path with soft light.

The first was a paradox between "JOY" (sign & tree), and the way 2020 has gone. She wasn't bored, that was "her" pose, kid cracks me up with her ability to strike a pose. These were all one light (72" umbrella with diffusion sock), and strategically placed big white reflectors. I was shooting for a modified high key with vivid midtones, and all editing to be done in LR. Most everything worked well I think "except" the LR editing, I was having major issues after a dozen images, that required rebooting LR to continue. A real PITA when you have 40+ images to work. She's such a little pro I got over 60 images with 40+ that went to editing. Another from the set with her megawatt smile, that lights me up, and makes me give her anything she wants.

Christmas 2020 (1 of 1).jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

All are very nice, you did well but I have to say .... this is my very favorite because of that "megawatt smile" and how natural and relaxed she seems in this one, it's contagious. It could make the grinch smile.

Hey Smoke, nice images and you have a lovely character for a subject. If I may ask one question about WB. Did you tweak it at all? The reason I ask is that my mind is struggling with them. To me, they look a tad cool for a high key scene. (I guess I would expect a little warmer tone for that) And then my eye catches the greens of the tree and I can't tell if they are too cool or just an increase in saturation.

These may have been thought out before shooting and in post and if so, you rocked it. If not, I suggest to test it and see what you think. The wonderful thing about LR is that you can create a virtual copy and edit it and have a side by side comparison.

Ron

Really beautiful set - my favorites are #3 and #5 but all are great. I agree they look a bit not cool but definitely not warm if you know what I mean - I really like that look for this scene.

I'm sure you also have many crops/close ups etc. Even though it cuts off the tree, I would definitely zoom in for a landscape crop or maybe a square on #4 where she is looking dead on at the camera.

Kudos on these. Nominated #5 for POTM!

@K9Kirk The last one we were on the third wardrobe change and she was warmed up. One of my favorites as well.

@ronlane the shot and processing was not your typical High Key shot, I think that's what's throwing you off. Typically in High Key as you bring up the whites, it has a tendency to also wash out the midtones. I wanted the look, but still wanted those crisp saturated midtones (especially in the reds and greens). My AB's are dead on 5500k, which is why I have a custom WB in camera of the same, but surprisingly when I put the diffusion cover on the big umbrella, when correcting in post I had to take it up to 6700k. I likely could have gone a little more, but decided I really liked the slightly cool look in the whites as it fit with my other goal of boosting the midtones. All the processing was done in LR, a couple of gradients with custom masks, and a couple adjustment brushes here and there. Most of the heavy lifting was done in the Basic panel - curves (RGB looks likes a drunken s curve LOL), and the HSL (saturation and luminance).

I'm sure you also have many crops/close ups etc. Even though it cuts off the tree, I would definitely zoom in for a landscape crop or maybe a square on #4 where she is looking dead on at the camera.

Kudos on these. Nominated #5 for POTM!

Actually I didn't take any in close, camera was on a tripod, and with the wardrobe changes and directions, I just completely forgot. :02.47-tranquillity: There will be another chance before long though. I really wasn't pleased with the tree, it was way to tall, but unfortunately all I had, would have preferred a more size appropriate one. The other thing I was disappointed in is the lights, if you look closely they're on, but they just don't show up well, and I couldn't see taking the time to adjust each one.

Thank you so much for the kind words and the nomination. I really appreciate it!!!!!!

Last edited:
Some great takes there and wonderfully captured expressions.

I love the almost high key effect the white background gives but you've managed to keep the colours in check brilliantly and the lighting is divine.

@smoke these are beautiful and they really show your planning and attention to detail

She's growing up fast, isn't she

The mouth might be growing a little to fast. Her vocabulary. reasoning and the art of Sourhern Sass is well advanced, forces you to stay on your toes all the time. :allteeth:

Really nice set - such a lively, expressive smile.

Most reactions

Back