Christmas Portrait for CC

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

My son finally wanted to get his picture done we had been working on this little by little and I really think I got the shot this time.

Gavin1 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr

1/100, f2.0, iso 1600

I feel like his skin is a little on the cool side? I think I want to make this his christmas picture this year for our cards. I'm not in love with this photo tho. I feel like I could do a diff edit but just dont know what to do. What do you guys think I did wrong with this?

I know his outfit is not the best but hey its his jammies and he did NOT want to change and this pic is only going to fam so I'm not too worried about that aspect of it. All his clothes are really busy. What could have been a better choice? I was going to buy him some christmas jammies so maybe something along those lines? I just dunno lol!

You had some good lighting here, what a cute little guy =) He has nice catchlights in his eyes, too.

I think you're right about the warming up...his skin is looking a bit blue. If you do try to reshoot, I think this image could be a lot stronger if he wasn't quite so centered in the frame, and if his limbs were less chopped in the cropping. I'd also reconsider the wardrobe choice, personally, for a Christmas card. Pajamas are always adorable, don't get me wrong...but the camo pattern just doesn't feel right with a Christmas tree behind him. Maybe aim for a solid color, or basic strips...something less busy?

Thanks for sharing!

You had some good lighting here, what a cute little guy =) He has nice catchlights in his eyes, too.

I think you're right about the warming up...his skin is looking a bit blue. If you do try to reshoot, I think this image could be a lot stronger if he wasn't quite so centered in the frame, and if his limbs were less chopped in the cropping. I'd also reconsider the wardrobe choice, personally, for a Christmas card. Pajamas are always adorable, don't get me wrong...but the camo pattern just doesn't feel right with a Christmas tree behind him. Maybe aim for a solid color, or basic strips...something less busy?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I'm working on composition how would you have shot the pic? Should I make him more off center?

I did just find a diff outfit that he was happy to wear!

As far as fixing the blueness I have lightroom 3 I was thinking about using the adjusment brush and increase the saturation? That would work to warm him up correct?

show more of his body by not chopping it off in the photo, change into something more holiday look, try more of a smiling look

Should I do something whre he is standing? Not sitting in a chair covered with a quilt? I dont have much for a "holiday look" I have one shirt which we just took some more pictures in. and the smiling well that is his "happy face" thats as close to a smile as i'm getting hahaha! Well Im editing our new batch and photo guy he is def smiling not just HAPPY FACE hahah

I think if you cropped this photo to follow the rule of thirds it might work better but....you lose some of the lights in the back

To warm it up you can bring it into camera raw and play with the temp or in photoshop a warm photo filter might help.

I feel like the image is overly vignetted/ burned. The only thing that's lightened is his face and I agree with you that it looks a little cool.

MTVision said:
I think if you cropped this photo to follow the rule of thirds it might work better but....you lose some of the lights in the back

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazy_beautiful_megan/6384045379/

To warm it up you can bring it into camera raw and play with the temp or in photoshop a warm photo filter might help.

Just realized you have Lightroom not photoshop - play with the temperature slider to warm it up a little....

Ok so I redited it. How's this? I totally got rid of the vignette and like it much better and played with my temperature control and got it much warmer. I tried a little bit of a different crop too I really want to keep some of the lights above him, and I feel like if I crop anymore to his face the picture looks oof? not as sharp? Is this better?

Gavin10 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr

I would get a bit more lighting from the front not camera flash though, to keep the texture and brighten the photograph up. Its a really nice pic though ;]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back