Christmas tree & toddlers picture suggestion

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've taken a few nice pictures with our 3yo daughter around the Christmas tree, but I was looking for other suggestions on what might be appealing. Do you have any favorite Christmas tree pictures that you could suggest a nice composition?

Here's the one I took the other day. I'd be interested in your opinion. I have a D300 with a 35mm f1.8 lens. Part of the problem I was having with this picture is the lighting - This is f1.8, 800 ISO and 1/60th. The shutter speed is entirely too low - any motion here and it would have been (even more) out of focus. Yet the use of a flash here I think would take away from the low light effect this image has...

I'm relatively new to flash photography, but I'm correct in thinking a flash would be bad here?

Attachments

• DSC9781_ReganTree50.jpg
    DSC9781_ReganTree50.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 230
No, a flash would be ideal here. A low-power pop of flash would illuminate the child, and a relatively long shutter speed will allow you to get the nice 'bokeh' balls that you want. The flash will freeze any small movement, and a shutter-speed of 1/30 or so will allow the lights 'form' nicely.

Yet the use of a flash here I think would take away from the low light effect this image has...

Sure it would spoil it if the flash was over-powered, but not if the flash power is correct.

And you need a catchlight in the model's eyes.

Obviously not a toddler, but just an example to show you what TiredIron is talking about; balancing flash with ambient light:

_MG_4189-Edit.jpg
by tltichy, on Flickr
iso 800
1/80th
f/1.2​
For that shot the camera was set to expose for the ambient and the flash was bounced off the wall/ceiling behind me and to the left.

Thanks very much, guys. I have an SB700 to go with my D300 and 35mm f1.8. Do I use flash exposure compensation to reduce the flash?

My problem has been getting my 3yo "model" to sit still - it's burst shots sometimes, more quickly than a flash could recharge.

Should the flash be on the camera? Or doesn't it matter if I'm directing it at the ceiling?

Oh, also, do you know any photoshop tricks to brighten the picture I've already taken?

Thanks very much, guys. I have an SB700 to go with my D300 and 35mm f1.8. Do I use flash exposure compensation to reduce the flash?

My problem has been getting my 3yo "model" to sit still - it's burst shots sometimes, more quickly than a flash could recharge.

Should the flash be on the camera? Or doesn't it matter if I'm directing it at the ceiling?
First, do not aim the flash directly at the ceiling. Aim it up and backwards, this way it is hitting the ceiling and walls behind and to the side of you, giving a large, soft, directional light to the subject; rather than the racoon eyes you get when the light is coming straight down from the ceiling.

Second, set the camera for the tree lights to get the exposure you want and let the flash handle the subject. Personally I'd prefer a longer lens than the 35mm, but you work with what you've got.

Third, make it a game. Normally when I shoot my girls I have room to move around, but when I need to have them in a specific spot I'll set a small box on the ground and have them stand on it, or put a stool there and have them climb up on it. Normally I'd get one shot for each time they climbed up there. It was time consuming, but it worked. With a predetermined spot like that you can pre-set the camera on a tripod and then focus on the kid. When they make the expression you're looking for hit the shutter button. No need to be standing behind the camera.

Oh, also, do you know any photoshop tricks to brighten the picture I've already taken?
Sorry, I don't have Photoshop, but I can do a limited edit using Aperture3.

DSC9781_ReganTree50 - Version 2.jpg

Sorry, I don't have Photoshop, but I can do a limited edit using Aperture3.

That's awesome. Can you explain how you did that using Aperture3 so that I may try to find out how to do it with Photoshop?

Obviously not a toddler, but just an example to show you what TiredIron is talking about; balancing flash with ambient light:

_MG_4189-Edit.jpg
by tltichy, on Flickr
iso 800
1/80th
f/1.2​
For that shot the camera was set to expose for the ambient and the flash was bounced off the wall/ceiling behind me and to the left.

What do you mean "expose for the ambient"?

If I'm taking the picture of my daughter, and bouncing the flash off the walls behind me, wouldn't I be blocking at least some of that light, potentially creating a shadow?

I'm going to try it, but it's very difficult to get my 3yo to sit still for any period of time, so I really only have one chance at it. I'm also not sure 1/80th is fast enough to prevent motion blur from a moving kid...

That's awesome. Can you explain how you did that using Aperture3 so that I may try to find out how to do it with Photoshop?
O.K., here's a screen shot of the adjustment tab:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 8.28.42 AM.png

As you see, I did nothing with retouch or enhance, but the WB was a simple click on a white spot, the exposure was "automatic", and I moved the shadows slider up a little and just a touch of sharpening.

All this was done in about the same length of time that it took for me to type this response. I'm sure others could do better by taking some time with it.

As to where to aim the flash; straight up at the ceiling gives you those shadows in her eye sockets and under her chin. Don't worry about making your own shadow fall onto the subject, as it will be very diffuse so it won't be noticeable. Just don't get yourself close enough to your subject that your shadow becomes noticeable.

Hi guys, thanks so much for your help. Thanks to some tips from Designer, I've spent some time with Photoshop and figured out how to adjust the white balance and play with the shadows a bit. Is this better? Still realistic? Any other improvements?

Attachments

• DSC9781_ReganTree_wbadjust2.jpg
    DSC9781_ReganTree_wbadjust2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167
You can always try bouncing the flash light off the walls for more softer light. Remember bigger light sources make for softer light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back