City skyline with a fisheye. C&C appreciated

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was able to get my hands on a fisheye lens for the afternoon, and decided to take a shot of the skyline of my city, and the main vein of trafic coming into and out of it. I would like to know what you all think. Any suggestions on composition, crop etc. are very welcomed.

DSC_4620.jpg

Maybe clone-out the join in the tarmac, bottom-left.

How wide was this lens, apart from a little curve to the light post it doesn't look very fisheye.

Nikkor 10.5mm 1:2.8 Fisheye is the lens that was used. This lens has almost a 180 degree field of view, and under normal cricumstances is extremely fisheye-esque.

The fisheye lost its effect some since the majority of the subject is a mile or so away. With this shot, the blue car in the center bottom third of the frame is almost directly under the bridge I was shooting from. My goal wasn't to have the pronounced fisheye effect (but I did want a little...) , it was to get as much FOV as possible to get the crossing highway, skyline and sky. Even my 28mm lens doesn't come anywhere NEAR this FOV.

As someone else had mentioned, this picture doesn't look very fisheye. Personally I'd up the contrast a little to give it a little more pop, but it looks pretty good! :)

Second edit.... I think this one is MUCH better...... I'm a bit upset with Photobucket.... It seems to have ruined the IQ. The original file isn't anywhere near as soft as this looks.....

DSC_4620-2.jpg

Let's see that at night.

Not the area of town I want to be lugging $2,500+ of gear around after dark.........

The light on the left side is a little distracting as well. IMHO this shot would look better at night but i understand being cautious about where you bring your gear. Maybe shoot a skyscraper instead. IDK what goes through peoples mind but I don't think I look like a terrorist. I loved having a wide angle lens but I always got people telling me to stop taking pictures of their building. People are touchy and you can't have any reasonable expectation of privacy in a public building. Sorry, my mind wanders sometimes.

I got bored after work tonight, and decided to give this one another go. Here is a different crop, differnt edit, and I used my EXTREMELY limited PS skillz to try to get rid of that light unsightly lamp post.

DSC_4620_013-1.jpg

I liked your original composition, but I like the lighting of the different crop. Thank you for removing the lightpost, that was extremely distracting!
I really like how the roads intertwine, too bad you cant do a long exposure at blue hour / sunset.

I really don't see how this has the fish eye effect at all, I also have the 10.5 and its pretty obvious when you use it. Unless possibly you have distortion control turned on but I didn't think it would work that well.

I agree with others -- I don't see any fish eye effect on your photo, but the photograph is still nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back