What's new

Clay Ball !!!!!

JacaRanda

Hobbyist Birdographer
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
5,472
Reaction score
2,628
Location
Orange County California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I have often thought of printing one or two of these and hanging them in my sons bedroom. I have played with crops and colors and angles etc., but could never settle. What if anything would you do to these. Please have at it - C&C welcomed.

#1
BB1 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

#2
BB2 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

#3
BB3 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr
 
I think I would try not aligning the ball and the base, giving it a little more dimension (?) I guess.
 
I think I would try not aligning the ball and the base, giving it a little more dimension (?) I guess.

Ah thank you Bo4key, I did not position the ball, but I certainly could have and should have changed my position.
 
Aligned horizon and moved ball

$8534805189_f7319e341a_clllll.webp
 
I like the first one the most because the contrast between the brown of the dirt and green of the field really screams "baseball". I agree that the vertical alignment of the ball and base makes the shot look a bit rigid and contrived; staggering them would probably bring an element of lighthearted happenstance to the mood of the shot.
 
I like #2 the best. Reason: Only three elements, mostly all in focus, good balance, color, texture. I'm guessing that it is the closest to what you wanted.
 
Now lay a batting helmet and fielders glove in the shot and you will have something to work with.

For me the ball by itself does not draw enough interest to the shot, perhaps if it were shot closer so it filled more of the frame it might. I am on the computer at work so it's not color calibrated, but the image coloring looks too warm for the way the shadows are falling (not late enough or has long enough shadows for the color balance).
 
I love the idea of that for you son's bedroom. It's such a great shot.
 
Now lay a batting helmet and fielders glove in the shot and you will have something to work with.

For me the ball by itself does not draw enough interest to the shot, perhaps if it were shot closer so it filled more of the frame it might. I am on the computer at work so it's not color calibrated, but the image coloring looks too warm for the way the shadows are falling (not late enough or has long enough shadows for the color balance).

I like it just as it is in its minimalist form. I understand all the other props, but if I get what the OP wants to show, is just mainly the ball. IMO it does make a statement. Base. Ball. Dirt.
 
Thank you all for the responses. The differences in your thoughts and visions are what makes this cool and can be a curse. You would not believe the history list in Lightroom created from all the edits.

Lew I like your crop. I struggled with the horizon especially with the mound involved and the horizontal poles of the fencing in the background. You also left the contrast in colors as Cynicaster mentioned (for my sons bedroom, I think it works better).

Tony I hope one day I will be able to have a vision and make it happen through the camera by staging things or moving myself around. However, Designer is on track with this one. I literally was cruising along and saw the ball had been left on the field at the end of a little league game. I am surprised I remembered bending these old knees to get some of the angles I did :lol:.

Designer, it became even more about the ball and the dirt when I copied the files to the computer. I have a bad habit of leaning all over the place instead of sitting up straight in front of the monitor. At certain angles, the dirt looks more red. Similar to the red clay at Roland Garros.

Michael thanks for the compliment. Easy that it will be for my son. He still thinks (almost) everything dad does is cool....Freshman year of high school so my time may be running out!
 
lol... no need to stage shots with the other equipment. It's always left laying around just waiting for the right time and person to capture it. Just keep an eye out for other things to go with that shot to hang in the room.

Ohh, and enjoy the heck out of your son's time in school. It goes by so danged fast. I had withdrawal pains after my daughter graduated and there was no one for me to cheer for.
 
lol... no need to stage shots with the other equipment. It's always left laying around just waiting for the right time and person to capture it. Just keep an eye out for other things to go with that shot to hang in the room.

Ohh, and enjoy the heck out of your son's time in school. It goes by so danged fast. I had withdrawal pains after my daughter graduated and there was no one for me to cheer for.

Don't I know it! He actually rides a bike to school now. Last week I asked him if he missed me taking him to school every morning. I really do...we had some of our best chats then.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom