Cleaning the Sensor

So why doesn't he receive my order, my Paypal payment and my emails? He got the information on his site because I ordered there. Paypal sent him an email when I paid for it. I sent him an email just two days ago since I hadn't received it. He has a lot of nerve blaming me. I definitely do not recommend the place. I view his email to you as a personal insult. Wouldn't you? He's the stooge.

I almost forgot. Paypal sent him another email today when I made a claim against his account. I might not get anything from him except insults. I will get my money back from Paypal, however. Incidentally, I ordered this thing 5 weeks ago. Stooge! What a bunch of nerve! Any time you post a recommendation for this guy you can count on my posting the other side of the story. Guaranteed. Sorry. I'm not mad at you, Danalec. I'm fuming at him. Before he had a dissatisfied customer. Now he has an enemy.

I understand that there is a misunderstanding or problem in the works here but I don't think that a public forum is the best place to hash it out. If this must be continued, please do so via PM or E-mail.

Thank you.

Curly, you aren't paying attention or you are ignoring what I write. I did email you at the address on your site.

Thanks, Mike. I'm finished. I won't bring it up again on the forum until someone recommends the place on the forum. I think it's reasonable to have debate on recommendations for photographic sources.

Ahem...back to the OP...

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll own up to using Sensor Swabs. Kind of expensive, sure...but I'm paying for the convenience pulling a swab out of the package, pretty much ready to go.

I feel pretty fortunate that I haven't had an issue with a dirty sensor yet, and I've owned my current setup for over a year. I can probably attribute at least part of that to careful lens-swapping (always hold the camera lens down) and another part to using the sensor cleaning function in the camera once every few weeks. Call me paranoid. I'm sure the lion's share of the reason is also sheer luck.

I was surprised on how fast my camera's sensor required cleaning. Switching lenses in the field is something that tends to attract dust. I have read somewhere that switching off the camera first is a must to reduce this effect, but I am not that methodical, it seems.

My first attempt in cleaning the sensor was with Green Clean. Nice toolkit and cleaning was fast and effective. However the kit costs ~65 euro so it's not really affordable.

Once I got the knack of it, it experimented with Chicco cotton swabs and alcohol. It works pretty well, as well as the Green Clean kit, so I will not buy a new one or consumables for it.

The method is as follows:
Step 1. Use the suction cleaning to remove any heavy and large material (dust, fibers, etc).
Step 2. Use one end of the cotton swab with plenty of alcohol (wet not dripping) to perform the first step. Make sure that all the area of the sensor glass is wiped (all of the glass becomes wet).
Step 3. Before it has the time to get dry, gently wipe the glass with the other end of the swab (dry one) to remove the alcohol and stains.
Step 4. Use the suction cleaning once more to remove any stray dry material that may remain.

The only really useful thing in the Green clean kit is the compressed air can with plastic hoses and a suction tube that utilises the compressed air to create an ultra clean suction cleaner. Thankfully, I can get compressed air cans that are compatible with the kit's parafernalia at a modellist shop for ~ $5.

Therefore, my recommendation is to buy such a kit, get to understand how to clean and then utilise cotton swabs and alcohol. The suction clean is particularly useful to clean the pentamirror compartment that tends to accumulate fibers from time to time.

Finally, never use compressed air to spray into the camera compartment. It will just push dust and fibers to where they cannot be reached but will come out eventually requiring a new clean. Also, don't fear that cleaning will damage the sensor. It is well protected behind the infrared filter glass. Just to get an idea of how well protected they are, pay a visit to http://www.lifepixel.com/IR.htm

This company's business is to remove the protective IR glass and replace it with plain glass (to make the cameras shoot Infrared). Take a look at several camera removal procedures. They are entertaining and show clearly that when we are cleaning the "sensor" we are merely cleaning a piece of glass.

however, care should be taken in case we have been at the beach or where there is sand. Sand contains quartz and quartz is harder than glass. We must not press hard the cotton swab against the glass (we don't need to anyway) and before the cleaning, a suction cleaning ensures that hard and heavy particles are removed. Then the cotton swab with alcohol removes stains.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back