Cleaning the shutter curtain

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Replying to myself: The paper tip in the second link worked like magic! After poking around with a few pieces of paper, until they started coming out (basically) clean, I wiped down the shutter blades on both sides a couple times. I fired the shutter about 100 times, using various speeds, and NO GOO!! I'm going to run a test roll through it tomorrow, but I'm optimistic that it will stay clean for awhile now.

huh, I would be too scared to touch my shutter with anything. it is the most delicate and easiest to break thing in a camera.

.. but then again your hands are still young and steady :) congrats for your success!

Thanks Alex. I bought the camera cheap knowing I would have to clean the goo, so if I messed up, it wouldn't be a big loss. Ten dollars plus shipping plus two hours of cleaning. Not bad if it holds up.

Thanks Alex. I bought the camera cheap knowing I would have to clean the goo, so if I messed up, it wouldn't be a big loss. Ten dollars plus shipping plus two hours of cleaning. Not bad if it holds up.

quite recently i payed around 150 USD to get a new shutter for my film canon ... but that shutter was broken from too much use ;)

quite recently i payed around 150 USD to get a new shutter for my film canon ... but that shutter was broken from too much use ;)

In that situation, my nimble young hands would have counted for naught. Though I read somewhere that the actual shutter only costs about 5 USD and the rest is labor. Is that true?

Most reactions

Back