Mirror Cleaning?

cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got back from hiking this morning and I noticed two dust particals on the mirror. I blew one of with a can of air but the second one is stubborn. How is best to clean the mirror. How about it Big Mike, help me out here?
Cosmo

It's amazing what you can find using the search function of the forum!!
:mrgreen:
Do you get some kind of twisted kick out pointing out the search feature? This is the second time you have done that today. If you don't want to answer the question than move along. Both times you have posted a link that was useless. The first time the link didn't answer the original posters question and this time your link only has two methods both of which were challenged by another member. How about you just let other members who want to answer the question, answer it

let there be peace among you ;) :)

cleaning the mirror is a two edged sword ... i recommend blowing only.
but even then you could accidentally blow the dirt towards your shutter and with the next release it is on the sensor. ...

if ther is sticky dust on the mirror .. well, i personally would just leave it there unless it really bothers you. if you touch the mirror and apply too much pressure, you might muck up your autofocus and it has to be re-adjusted.

let there be peace among you ;) :)

cleaning the mirror is a two edged sword ... i recommend blowing only.
but even then you could accidentally blow the dirt towards your shutter and with the next release it is on the sensor. ...

if ther is sticky dust on the mirror .. well, i personally would just leave it there unless it really bothers you. if you touch the mirror and apply too much pressure, you might muck up your autofocus and it has to be re-adjusted.

It doesn't bother me that much and it hasn't shown up on any pictures yet and I shot all day. But I wouldn't mind sending it off to be cleaned. I am having back surgery soon and I will be out of shooting commision for a few weeks and thought that would be a great time to do it. Any ideas where to send it?
Cosmo

It doesn't bother me that much and it hasn't shown up on any pictures yet and I shot all day. But I wouldn't mind sending it off to be cleaned. I am having back surgery soon and I will be out of shooting commision for a few weeks and thought that would be a great time to do it. Any ideas where to send it?
Cosmo

any decent photography shop could do that...

I let my equipment be serviced by Canon directly.

good luck with your surgery!

I may send mine of to Olympus, that way if it gets messed up they will stand behind it. How much does Canon charge?
Cosmo

I may send mine of to Olympus, that way if it gets messed up they will stand behind it. How much does Canon charge?
Cosmo

nothing yet ... got AF adjusted on all lenses and body ... and got the camera cleaned.

guess they would charge me if I came again and again though ;) I think I heard of sensor+mirror cleaning for 50-ish EUR

nothing yet ... got AF adjusted on all lenses and body ... and got the camera cleaned.

guess they would charge me if I came again and again though ;) I think I heard of sensor+mirror cleaning for 50-ish EUR

Thanks Alex, I'll give Olympus a try.

Do you get some kind of twisted kick out pointing out the search feature? This is the second time you have done that today. If you don't want to answer the question than move along. Both times you have posted a link that was useless. The first time the link didn't answer the original posters question and this time your link only has two methods both of which were challenged by another member. How about you just let other members who want to answer the question, answer it

i was pointing out that members can look for info before asking - i've seen many new threads started that have already been answered numerous times. And on those occasions it's been pointed out that there is a search function.

I wasn't trying to wind anyone up and by pointing to a thread that i thought was helpful, i thought i had answered the original question.

At least i tried to help rather than have a go at another poster.

If my search result wasn't useful then simply say so without having a go.

Thanks everyone, here is an update. I finally got the dust off with canned air. I am not so sure that the dust was on the mirror. It might have been on the thing that the mirror reflects to going into the viewfinder. Anyone know what it is called, is it the lightmeter?

dirt on the mirror or prism for that matter will not show on images, as the prism is just to link your viewfinder to the mirror and the mirror flips out of the way as you take the shot. Its also best to leave both of these alone unless you have the type of camera with interchangeable viewing screens, but I doubt you have as this is a function of highly expensive pro outfits, hope this helps. H

There is no reason to spend money sending your camera off to be cleaned, when none of this will affect image quality. Unless it's obscuring the viewfinder to a degree in which you cannot see to compose or focus, just relax, and learn to live with it. Trying to clean it yourself will likely result in damage to the mirror, and sending it off to Olympus will definitely result in damage to your wallet.

is this mirror a front surface aluminized mirror? ( i would assume so) but, if it is, then touching it could possibly take the reflective coating right off

is this mirror a front surface aluminized mirror? ( i would assume so) but, if it is, then touching it could possibly take the reflective coating right off

I would not dare touch the surface, Thanks Flash Harry I just can't stand to look through a dirty viewfinder, It's like driving a dirty car.LOL

Most reactions

Back